Spilt Fins For Snorkelling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaiviti

Reaction score
Hello All,

I know that you guys are mostly scuba divers but i was just after some information.

I predominantly snorkel. Thats not to say i dont wanna dive but i hope to get my ow licence sometime in the next few years.

However i want to buy a new pair of fins. I want these from purely a snorkelling point of view. I was going to go with the Tusa X-Pert Zoom but then i heard that you have trouble on the surface due to the angle. What about the Atomic Splits, are they any good for snorkelling?

Or do you guys reccommend regular fins. I snorkel around 5 times a weeks so i dont mind spending a bit of money on a good pair.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I use my Atomic Splits while snorkeling and diving. I haven't noticed a problem on the surface with them. You don't have to work hard with them. Use small kicks.

Thanks very much for your help. I think that i will go with the atomic splits. I am in Australia so where would be the best place to buy them. I would be buying them online but i noticed that joediveramerica doesn't sell them.

I prefer the Apollo splits, personally, but they're both good fins. I will say that the Apollos are more negative than the Atomics, which may help keep your feet from splashing out of the water.

Tho frankly I might reconsider splits if their sole purpose was for the face down on the surface swimming position. I think traditional paddle fins may actually have something of an edge there. Splits kick the sh$& out of everything else when you have room to kick, though. IMHO.

Kaiviti:
Hello All,

I know that you guys are mostly scuba divers but i was just after some information.

I predominantly snorkel. Thats not to say i dont wanna dive but i hope to get my ow licence sometime in the next few years.

However i want to buy a new pair of fins. I want these from purely a snorkelling point of view. I was going to go with the Tusa X-Pert Zoom but then i heard that you have trouble on the surface due to the angle. What about the Atomic Splits, are they any good for snorkelling?

Or do you guys reccommend regular fins. I snorkel around 5 times a weeks so i dont mind spending a bit of money on a good pair.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

FWIW, my wife only snorkels, and absolutely loves her grey (different compound) Scubapro Twin-Jets. When I joked about selling them she said she'd give me up before the fins :)

FWIW, I can't keep my biofins out of the water face-down on the surface. A lot of the benefit of the split is in the upkick, and you don't get much of an upkick on the surface.

I have biofins. The documentation that came with them says the physics behind them don't give you an advantage at the surface

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom