A little leak in New Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thresa

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am new to diving and just bought my first mask. I was wondering if it was normal that a little bit of water always ends up in the bottom of the mask. Even after I clear it it’s just a matter of time before I have a small amount of water in my mask. When I turn my head or look down I get even more water in my mask as well. It didn’t ruin my dive, it was just more annoying than anything. Is this normal, or should your mask stay completely dry?

Do you have any facial hair?

No I don't have any facial hair. My husband is having the same problem and he doesn't have any facial hair either.

stangscuba98a:
Do you have any facial hair?

:wink: I'm guessing you didn't check the OP's profile... :wink:

Thresa:
My first guess is that maybe you have some hair under the skirt of the mask. If that isn't the cause my only other guess it that the mask doesn't fit correctly.

Do you have the mask really tight? I've noticed when people have thier mask leaking they tend to crank it tight causing the seal to..."pucker" I guess would be a good word :wink: which may cause a leak to develop.

The one that drives me nuts is the smile leak....I guess divers need to have a grumpy face............

Are you of any ethnic persuasion which has larger cheeks?

I am of German persuasion, and have larger creases (also known as smile creases) than most people I come in contact with on a given dive.

When the regulator is in my mouth, the cheeks and creases mimmic a smile. Water leaks in through the creases between my mouth and nose.

When I reach max depth, I usually clear my mask and push it down on my face.... this lasts for 5-10 minutes, then I do it again.... other than that, I laugh underwater (usually at my partner) about the same interval.

You either get used to it... find a way to prolong the affects, or give up diving

#1 and #2 are what I have done... number 3 is not an option... LOL

First as mentioned watch for hair, hood seals and strap tension, not to tight and not too loose. Oddly ering towards too loose if often better.

Getting a little seepage when contorting or laughing is not a big concern.

I you have a situation where it is annoying or continues with out an assignable cause trying another mask may be a good idea. You do not want to have mask clearing as a constant activity since it will contribute to task loading. It's hard to dump air, watch instruments, hold a dive light as you ascend and clear your mask all at the same time unless you are an octopus.

Pete

I'll check for hair under my mask next time I dive, but I do wear it pulled back so I doubt that is the cause. My cheeks are normal/small so I don't think that is the problem either. So a little water in the mask is not a normal thing, right? Maybe I should try out a different mask and see if I continue to have the same problem.

Thresa,

No matter how new the mask is, if it leaks it's no good. Replace the mask for a better fitting mask or if you are able to test a mask with water inside to see where the bubbles are coming from. Fill the mask with some water, press it against your face and if you see bubbles coming from below, there is leak in the seal. Leaks coming from the top of the mask is harder to detect.

Cheers,

SangP

Back
Top Bottom