Help for Newbie Diver: Scuba Pro Twin Jets vs. Apollo Biofin Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie diver and am deciding between the SP Twin Jet (only options are blue and gray) and Apollo Bio Fin (only option is black) Split Fins as my first pair of Scuba fins. I've got a few considerations that I'd appreciate some assistance with.

First, I DID test them both out in a pool. I preferred the Apollo Bio-fin because they felt less floppy and propelled me forward better. The SP Twin Jets seemed way more floppy and I felt I had to kick more to get anywhere. Turning was a bit of an issue with the SP as well. The Apollos are negatively buoyant while the SP floated which I'm not sure how to take into consideration. Also, the straps on the SP fins were much better that the Apollos. I was pushed to get the Twin Jets (which I did), but am waffling and still think I prefer the Apollos. I can return the SP for the Apollos if I want, but I wanted to get more advice, hopefully not too partial.

My questions that may help me make a decision:

(1) Which do you recommend for snorkeling? I have snorkel fins and tend to cramp when I use them for long periods. I'd prefer, on trips, to just bring scuba fins and use for all water activities.
(2) I have read a lot about problems swimming on the surface in a current with SP but not Apollo; I don't plan on diving in terrible currents, but if I have to swim a distance to my vessel, which would you recommend?
(3) I hear the straps are wicked to replace, but SP has much better straps now than the Apollo Bio-Fin--thoughts?
(4) I tend to like to be able to turn in a vertical position, sometimes horizontal: which might be better for this?

Thank you for your time!
:confused:

I have SP twin jets [M/Grey] and I like them, they are positively buoyant, which may be a plus for snorkeling, shouldn't cause you any cramps. I tend not to dive in current, because...well I'm lazy. That being said I just got myself som Jets with springs last week and haven't had a chance to get em' wet yet. Hopefully this will improve my thrust, turning and frog kicking abilitites.

azureladybug:
Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie diver and am deciding between the SP Twin Jet (only options are blue and gray) and Apollo Bio Fin (only option is black) Split Fins as my first pair of Scuba fins. I've got a few considerations that I'd appreciate some assistance with.

First, I DID test them both out in a pool. I preferred the Apollo Bio-fin because they felt less floppy and propelled me forward better. The SP Twin Jets seemed way more floppy and I felt I had to kick more to get anywhere. Turning was a bit of an issue with the SP as well. The Apollos are negatively buoyant while the SP floated which I'm not sure how to take into consideration. Also, the straps on the SP fins were much better that the Apollos. I was pushed to get the Twin Jets (which I did), but am waffling and still think I prefer the Apollos. I can return the SP for the Apollos if I want, but I wanted to get more advice, hopefully not too partial.

(1) Which do you recommend for snorkeling? I have snorkel fins and tend to cramp when I use them for long periods. I'd prefer, on trips, to just bring scuba fins and use for all water activities.
(2) I have read a lot about problems swimming on the surface in a current with SP but not Apollo; I don't plan on diving in terrible currents, but if I have to swim a distance to my vessel, which would you recommend?
(3) I hear the straps are wicked to replace, but SP has much better straps now than the Apollo Bio-Fin--thoughts?
(4) I tend to like to be able to turn in a vertical position, sometimes horizontal: which might be better for this?

Thank you for your time!
:confused:

After reading your post it seems to me you knew which ones you liked the best but bought the TwinJets instead.

I'm an Atomic Split fin fan but I hear the black bio-fins are the stiffer of the models which would explain why you got more thrust from them and why the TJ's felt floppy.

I've never worn either but the TJ's seem wide to me and would probably take some getting used to.

azureladybug:

I can't answer all your questions, but I can help with some of them:

1) I've had no problems using split fins for snorkling and surface swimming, I suspect either of them will work for this.

2)Swiimming in current does not affect the fin performance. So the fin that is fastest in no current, will be the fastest in a current. According to the testing I've seen the Apollo fins are slightly faster and so would be the choice in this instance.

http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/instruct/grier/fins.html

3) I can't comment on the strap differences, personally I use spring straps with my regular sins (Apollo bio fins).

4) Typically if you want to turn fast a stiffer fin is the best choice. Given you found the Apollo fins to be stiffer, this would suggest that these would be better.

However the bottom line is what fin you feel comfortable with. Everyone is different (thankfully) and you should be swayed by your needs for comfort and functionality not what other people think.

I own a pair of Apollo Bio Fins and they are a very pretty yellow... not black. I have tried lots and lots of fins and I love my Apollos, if you get them with the spring straps it's even better.

The best thing about the Bios is the only problem with the Bios and that is that they GO... any little kick and you will be moving. This is great for hunting or whatever, but if you're doing drift dives and the like, make sure you're buddy is the leader, otherwise you'll kick 4 times, look back and he will be nowhere in sight.

I've never dove the SPs, although they were my runner up choice based on my research as well. My buddy bought them, and loves them. Curiously, he hated the SP straps, and replaced them with some beefier AquaLung straps from a pair of rocket fins he had.

I have the bio-fin XTs with spring straps, and love them. The XTs are grey, and possibly yellow. The black bio-fins are the original ones, which are the softer fins, not the stiffer XTs. I prefer the feel of the XTs. I think if a lot of people who pooh-pooh splits tried the XTs on their opinion might change.

Bio-fins, and splits in general, are not ideal for face down surface swimming. This is not to say that they don't work, of course they work. They just don't work as well as they do underwater, or in the face up position where the fins have more water to work with on both sides. Personally, I tend to spend my time 75/25% face up/face down on longer surface swims, so the slightly reduced thrust in the face down position is not that big of a deal to me. I've never taken them on a pure snorkeling trip, however. I do suspect that the slightly negative aspect of the bio fin probably gives it an edge over a positive fin at the surface. And the wide surface area of the SP twin jets is also probably something of a negative, at the surface. Slap-slap!

Oh: Whichever you get, get the spring straps. You'll thank us for the recommendation. HUGE improvement, well worth the extra money.

I own a pair of bio fin pro's..I have no complaints. The black bio fin pro's are the softer of the bunch, the colored ones are possibly stiffer due to the coloring, and according to apollo, it wasn't intentional. The XT's are meant to be stiffer, and faster from what I understand. I've never tried the SP twin jets, but the mere shape and look of them turned me away. I have however owned a pair of oceanic vortex v12's (something else to compare it to) and ended up selling them because they felt a bit heavy on my ankles. I think the purpose of bio fins is to halp you minimize fatigue and maximize air time...which has become more evident my last few dives as my comfort level has been increasing, and not to allow you to zip around your buddies....but you can, if that's what you want.

yes..I'm looking into spring straps as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom