Clean with Toothpaste or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drogo

New
Reaction score
I enrolled in a "Learn to Dive" class a my LDS two weeks ago, and while picking up the basics (fins, mask, snorkel & boots), the salesman said not to clean the mask with toothpaste. Just to wash it with a gentle dishwashing detergent. So that's all I did. I had seen some posts here about using toothpaste, so I asked him "Don't use toothpaste??" He said, "Right, no toothpaste."

So, we've done the pool dives, and spit has worked just fine keeping the fog away. Well until about the 10th mask flood/clear drill anyway. :)

I have the open water dives this weekend at a local quarry, and am wondering if I should give it a clean w/toothpaste to get it fully clean?

The mask in question is a Mares X-Vision.

Thanks!

I've had threee different Mares Masks including the X-vision(its great!), and have used toothpaste on all of them to get rid of the film that is covering the inside of the tempered glass of the mask. Lots of people have different ideas for new mask prep, but most I know use toothpaste!

Freds :coffee:

If it's glass you can use toothpaste. If it's a polycarbon lens you can't, any abrasives will scratch it.

Another alternative for cleaning is Soft Scrub. It's also mildly abrasive.

Holy quick replies batman!! :)

Thanks guys. I guess I'll go ahead and clean it tonight. While I don't anticipate any problems, that will give me some time until Saturday if I do mess something up.

Thanks again!

there is no need to clean your mask with toothpaste you were told to wash the mask with detergent to remove the finish the mask gets when it has been manifactured

some people use toothpaste to do this but,
in my experience I find that 'cif' the new 'jif' is the answer.
But you seem to have removed the finish from what you said - you have no more fogging issues and you will never have to do this again.

but you will have to spit in your mask before every dive to stop it fogging

hope this was of help.

I used both, first with toothpaste then rinsed, then another thorough cleaning with a dish washing liquid, never had a fogging problem. And I don't spit in my mask, that's nasty, I use an antifog liquid or recently have been using a squirt bottle with water and a baby shampoo [no tears], you can also use this to spray on your arms and legs to help slip right into your wetsuit, it works very well for both applications.

I have a mares SETA, and a posidan 3d, and they both fogged untill I used toothpate on them. I also do not use spit, but use baby shampoo+water in a spray bottle, have not fogged since.

Hammerhead, Try it. The baby shampoo+water works wonders. I did not believe it till I tried the first time. Very cheap solution to a problem allot of diver have, (not me anymore).

Great Idea (shark.byte.usa) on spraying down before jumping into wet suit.

Going to try that.

hammerhead45:
water and baby shampoo!!!! does that work as a defog????

Works better without the water. A drop or so in each side, smear it around, let it dry well, then a quick dip and rinse, and you're good to go. I let mine sit and dry for days or weeks at a time, and I can usually get 3-4 dives before I have to treat it again.

Like Firefyter said, no water is better but makes it harder to spray (if you want a spray), so I add enough water to get a fine mist from the bottle.
Good Luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom