Can you suggest a pair of split fins for warm water diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to buy a pair of split fins, for warm water diving.

Most open heel split fins are quite expensive. The cheapest looks to be Aeris Velocity Duo at $70. How is this compared to others that are often two times the price. Is there a real difference or just name?

Also there's a big difference between open heel and closed. For example the Tusa X-pert zoom open heel is $129 (some said they can be had on sale for $99), but the closed heel is selling at $35 (Leisurepro). The open heel is almost 4 times the price of closed heel?!? Another one is Scubapro twin speed, the open heel is $100 while closed heel is $40. Big price difference.

I'm a warm water vacation diver. In July will dive near Myrtle Beach, then in Aug. will dive the cruise stops at Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Costa Maya. Will probably do similar dives in the future. Thanks a lot.

The split fins are not necessarily superior as "warm water" fins. They will perform the same in any normal range of sea temperature. However, the SP "twin speed" with full foot (closed heel) has been highly rated by Jim Greer, a well known university researcher. My personal favorite among paddle type, full foot fins is the Mares Plana Avanti Tre. My personal peeve is the Apollo Uni, a full foot split fin. The Tusa splits have extreme offset angle to the blade which makes them suspect for surface swimming. Otherwise, they are OK, but just that and no more.I don't know anything about the Aeris duo split except Scubalab calls it an "ideal reef fin". Moreover, the full foot paddle type Aeris, I believe it is called the "velocity" is rated almost as highly as the Tre, meaning that both fins will generate thrust and slalom times equal to the Apollo Biofin which is the gold standard.

Can I ask why you narrowed your choice to splits?

I use Oceanic V6s and love them for full foots. They are all I have besides my long blades now. I dive and do marine animal interactions (whale sharks & mantas etc) in them. The long blades are better for long, fast swims, but the V6s are more than enough for average days.

I also have a pair of polartec socks that I can use if my feet start getting cold during our winter water temps.

I would suggest the Scubapro twin jets. They are more of a cruising fin, not meant for alot of power or speed, They are IMO a perfect fin for a warm water vacation diver like yourself. Also go with the full foot pocket, save the money if you are only going to be diving on vacation, and if not; go on ebay and im sure you could find a nice pair for really cheap.

Evil:bgmad:

tusa expert zoooooooooooom

If you want to go with a closed heel split fin for snorkeling, the TUSA X-pert zoom fin is an excellent choice. All of our customers have absolutely loved them after using a paddle fin for years. We sell them at $35 also. http://www.crazyscuba.com/pd_xpert_zoom.cfm

The Aeris Velocity snorkeling fin is also a fantastic fin, rated as a Scuba Diving Magazine Tester's Choice and we've rated it as a CrazyScuba.com "Top Pick" because we love it. It's only $39.95. http://www.crazyscuba.com/pd_velocity.cfm

We don't recommend either for scuba diving. The open heel fins are typically longer and bigger to accomodate pushing you and a bunch of gear around underwater. Snorkeling fins are typically used for snorkeling, more surface swimming, less gear and weight to push around. In a scuba diving situation, such as an emergency or surf zone, trying to catch your buddy, in currents, etc. the snorkeling fin would be like trying to ride a 10 speed bike in first gear (it's easy to do, but you just don't go anywhere fast). It's going to take a lot more work and a lot more time to get anywhere. There is a big difference in performance, and safety-wise, we wouldn't have anyone on a dive boat with snorkeling fins, especially in places like Cozumel where current is a normal issue. The price of the fin isn't the issue if you go with a dive fin, it's the fit of the fin with the dive boot. You can have a $200 pair of fins but if they don't fit together, you're still going to have cramping in your toes, arch and calf muscles. The most important thing to look at is the fit.

Keep in mind split fins have conditions where they don't perform as well as paddle style fins. What size shoe do you wear? Do you have a wide, medium or narrow foot? What style of boot do you have? We can recommend a fin that would work well for you.

Britt
CrazyScuba.com

I love my atomic split fins(full foot)

Hey.. atomic splits fins..
I love mine.

you can check out the review on scubadiving.com

Bigsage, I have scubapro jets. I like to try split because of a lot of reviews that they take less effort to kick. Last year while doing AOW classes, my instructor wore (pink) split fins and I couldn't catch up with him when he want to go.

CrazyScuba:
If you want to go with a closed heel split fin for snorkeling, the TUSA X-pert zoom fin is an excellent choice. ..The Aeris Velocity snorkeling fin is also a fantastic fin... We don't recommend either for scuba diving.

The open heel fins are typically longer and bigger to accomodate pushing you and a bunch of gear around underwater. Snorkeling fins are typically used for snorkeling, more surface swimming, less gear and weight to push around. In a scuba diving situation, such as an emergency or surf zone, trying to catch your buddy, in currents, etc. the snorkeling fin would be like trying to ride a 10 speed bike in first gear (it's easy to do, but you just don't go anywhere fast). It's going to take a lot more work and a lot more time to get anywhere. There is a big difference in performance, and safety-wise, we wouldn't have anyone on a dive boat with snorkeling fins, especially in places like Cozumel where current is a normal issue. The price of the fin isn't the issue if you go with a dive fin, it's the fit of the fin with the dive boot. You can have a $200 pair of fins but if they don't fit together, you're still going to have cramping in your toes, arch and calf muscles. The most important thing to look at is the fit.

Keep in mind split fins have conditions where they don't perform as well as paddle style fins. What size shoe do you wear? Do you have a wide, medium or narrow foot? What style of boot do you have? We can recommend a fin that would work well for you.

Britt
CrazyScuba.com

Thanks Britt. I didn't know the closed heel fins, which you are refering as snorkel fins, are made shorter and smaller than the scuba fins. So even the same name Tusa Expert Zoom in closed heel, which you are calling snorkeling fins, are shorter/smaller than the Tusa Expert Zoom in open heel??

I wear shoe size 7.5 or 8, with wide feet. I have neoprene socks, and just got a pair of used Dacor Tropic Cut (short) rubber sole size 8 M. It feels a bit wide.

Your analogy to riding on first gear in 10-speed bike, is kind of like how I felt in Scubapro jets trying to catch up to my AOW instructor's splits.

I also read reviews where people don't like to open heel Tusa Expert Zoom splits when snorkeling, as it keeps hitting the surface. So I have to count this one out, because I also like to snorkel (with my wife) in addition to diving.

Please keep the suggestions/comments coming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom