Suggestions Please!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In-Hoc

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are new to Suba diving and we just scheduled our classes for next month. I do not have a local dive shop close by, the closest shop to me is a little over an hour away. We are looking for suggestions for Masks/Fins/Snorkle. We have a modest budget for each of us right arround $200-250 each. We looked at so many different types of masks and fins that it's confusing on which to go with. My wife is not a strong swimmer and I dn't think that she can withstand a long dive with stiff fins. I on the other hand have been swimming all my life and spent 15 years swimming competitively and have fairly strong legs. The other problem is that I'm not a small man, and I didn't know if weight and size have anything to do with the selection of fins to use. Any and all help would be great. Thank you for your HELP!!

you might ask your instructor for some rental equipment for the first few dives, and try different types of equipment , then you might have a better feel for what you want or what products suit your needs best...most LDS have several types of equipment available, and trying them in a pool session can be enlightning.. if your LDS is TOO far away, you might ask Larry@scubatoys.com for some internet sales info..see ya under

The most difficult choice is the mask. It must be comfortable and leak free. Any new mask will need to be preconditioned--cleaned and cleaned until fog cannot be produced by warm breath in a cold room. Your first dives will be ruined unless the mask is preconditioned.

Fit is the problem with fins, also. In this case, assuming the woman has small feet, it is absolutely crucial that she get fins which fit well and comfortably over the type of boot or sock which will be used. I recommend the Oceanic Caribe full foot fin. For you, check out the Mares Quattro open heel. Leisurepro has cheap prices and will exchange fins that do not fit. Be smart, estimate the size carefully and use the charts provided by LP.

The snorkels should be plain, as few gadgets as possible. Snorkels are overpriced and a bit silly inasmuch as they are bulked up with valves and anti-siphon loops. The old, plain J snorkel is the one to get. Train with it.

First of all, fit is the single most important feature in a mask. There is no way to evaluate fit unless you put the mask on your face. My advice on masks is not to get your mind set on anything until you have a chance to try them on and see which will seal properly against your face and be comfortable. You should also try them on with a regulator in your mouth, which changes the shape of your face.

Go to the place you plan to buy the mask and try them on until you find one, or maybe several, that fit. If you only find one that fits comfortably, that's your mask. If you find more than one, then you obviously have choices. If possible, get a "low-volume" mask. In a low-volume mask, the lens is generally closer to your face, so there is a small volume of air inside the mask. This means that you have to exhale less air to clear it, so it will be easier to clear the mask. This is one of the few things about masks that is really universal and not really a matter of preference: all else being equal, low volume is better. Then you get to things like color, and no, I don't mean whether it has blue or yellow trim, I mean does it have a black or clear skirt. Black skirts are favored by some divers because they don't discolor (clear ones turn yellow eventually), or because they are generally considered better for photography (by blocking ambient light, they make it easier for photographers to focus on the image and may improve color perception). Plus they look REALLY COOL. Clear mask skirts are favored by some people becuase they don't feel as claustrophobic. They let in ambient light, which some people find pleasant. Get what feels (or looks) better to you.

Then you have the window question: one window, two windows, or four windows. The one-window mask is usually higher-volume, but gives a better field of vision - more like your regular field of vision, instead of looking through binoculars. Two-window masks can be (but are not necessarily) lower-volume. They are more common than single-window masks. Four-window masks have windows on the sides as well (there was even a mask with SIX windows, adding two on the bottom). The idea is to let in more light and perhaps to give you back some peripheral vision. This sounded like a good idea to me when I bought my first mask, but I found the view out the side windows was so distorted it was worse than useless. But if you put one on and like it, go for it. Four-window masks are generally nigher volume, although there are some, like the TUSA Splendive IV, that are pretty low-volume. There are still a few masks with purge valves, which I don't understand. It is not that hard to clear a mask.

Some masks are frameless. This means that the lens is set into the skirt rather than into a frame to which the skirt is attached. This means that they can usually fold pretty flat and fit in a pocket of your BC, wetsuit, or drysuit, and you can take it underwater as a back-up. The strap is also attached directly to the skirt, which seems to help the whole thing fit better.

Last point in the dissertation on masks (who knew there was this much to know), is the Big Eyes/X-Vision factor. Cressi started this with its Big Eyes mask, which is shaped to allow a better field of vision, especially down toward your chest and outwards. Mares came out with the X-Vision, which accomplishes the same thing in a different shape. There are variations on that theme from Cressi and Mares and some imitators now. I have been seeing a LOT of X-Visions around lately. I own two (primary and backup, one black skirt, as in my avatar pic, one clear). IMHO, Mares has the best buckle system in the business - really easy to use. Also true of their fins.
One thing to watch out for is the fit around your nose. My first mask pushed against the bottom of my nose, which I did not notice when I tried it on, during class, or when diving for one or two days. The first time I noticed it was my first multi-day dive trip. By the end of the second day, my nose was sore and I was thinking about a new mask. By the way, get one of the neoprene "slap-straps" or strap covers. They make it a lot easier to put on the mask and keep the strap from getting twisted. Your wife will really like it because it won't get tangled in her hair. Hell, I like it and I haven't got that much hair left!

Fit is critical for fins too, but not to the same degree as masks. First, decide between open-heel and full-foot. Wear open-heel if you want to wear booties underneath, either to protect your feet from coral, rocks, etc., when shore diving (a la Bonaire), or for thermal protection (cold water, or repetitive dives in warm water). You can't wear booties under full-foot fins. Open-heel fins have to be tried on with the booties, so you have to figure out the booties first. For your wife, go with some kind of split fins. If she is not a strong swimmer, she will appreciate it. They provide more thrust for less effort, which means she will be more comfortable and burn less air. I am partial to Scubapro Twin Jets. Not cheap, but really good fins. The yellow ones give you great visibility; they can be seen from very far away. I also have a pair of Oceanic Vortex V-12s. I don't like them as much. They are made of a much softer compound and are pretty floppy. If you are a strong swimmer, you might like good paddle fins, like the Mares Avanti Quattros or the good old Scubapro Jetfins. I have the Quattros, too. They were my first fins. One of the best things on the market at the time. Then the TwinJets came out. My LDS let me take a pair on a trip to Florida to try. I took both the TwinJets and the Quattros and used them on subsequent dives. Haven't used the Quattros since. Too much effort for the same result. If you like a stiffer fin, but are interested in splits, look at the black TwinJets. They are made of a stiffer compound than the gray, yellow, or blue fins. There are lots of good fins out there. Find one that fits your foot, your needs, and your budget.

Now, snorkels. The elaborate "dry snorkels" like the Ocean Master seem like a bit much. They are really bulky, which you will not appreciate under water. On the other hand, I think the simple J-tube is not the best either. This is what they give you on a cruise ship snorkeling expedition or hand out at the water sports desk at the hotel. Try clearing that thing with one quick breath. It's a lot of work. You will also get a lot of water in your mouth at the surface if you actually use it for snorkeling. Get something with some kind of vent or purge valve that makes it easier to clear and something at the top that keeps out SOME water. It is worthwhile. Good ones are available from TUSA, Scubapro, and probably everybody else. They don't have to be really expensive, but it's worth a few extra bucks for a decent one.

Now, I bet you are thinking that this guy really went on for a long time, and this is just about the simple mask, fins, and snorkel, right? Well, there is a point. I cover this stuff with my students, because it is important, and more complicated than it looks. If you are uncomfortable with your mask or fins (less so, your snorkel), it can really ruin your dive. I have seen more people have lousy dives because of mask problems than anything else. It is totally distracting and really stresses people out.

The other point is to show that this is not simple, there is a lot to think about, and I don't know how you could make these decisions without getting your hands on the products and getting some help from somebody who knows the product. I think it is a really bad idea to buy this stuff on-line, or to buy it because somebody you never met except on ScubaBoard said the "Zissou XL" (or whatever) fins were the best. Find a helpful dive shop, preferably one that will let you try the gear, or at least take it back no questions asked if it doesn't work out. My LDS does that and any good LDS should. And if they help you out and let you try the stuff, please buy it from them. Isn't it worth a few bucks to have that opportunity? Don't you want to support people in your community who make this stuff available? This stuff is way too complicated and important to leave it to message boards and Leisurepro (may they rot in Hell). If the local dive shop gives you value and service, that is worth something and they deserve the support.

'Nuff said. Diatribe over.

Support your LDS.

thank you all for your help! From the sound of things we will have to take a trip one afternoon to the LDS. I just want to make an informed decision, and wanted to see what other people used for their first set of PDG.

Definitely try on several masks. You've got to get a good fit with a proper seal. Make sure you try many kinds and narrow it down to the best fit. Your LDS should explain the technical fit and show you what to look for when fitting your gear. We teach each customer what to look for and how their gear should fit when they come into the shop.

Your wife really needs the better equipment since she is not a strong swimmer. I would recommend a dry snorkel or semi-dry snorkel for her, something with at least a wave guard. It will make her surface experiences much better, and she'll be fatigued less if she doesn't have to fight the waves to try and breathe.

The fit of the fin to the dive boot is very important to prevent cramping and fatigue. There is so much more involved, make sure you ask lots of questions and understand the explanations.

If you're not sure or have more questions feel free to email me. I'll be glad to help however I can. This is a very important first step to an exciting lifetime adventure, welcome aboard!
Crazyscuba@aol.com or britt@crazyscuba.com

Britt
CrazyScuba.com

A dry snorkel is, IMHO, the last thing a weaker swimmer needs. Once again this is the industry trying to compenstate for a diver having poor skin-diving skills. In her case, what happens is she comes to rely on the 'dry' feature of the snorkel and it fails--she might suck up a nice breath of water.

A plain flexible J-tube is perfect and quite easy to clear, especially if she can do a correct displacement clear. You can probably get a Dugi by Aeris for $10 or $15--personally I think it's the best snorkel out there. Plain J-tube snorkel that is completely flexible and can be folded up in a pocket during a dive, if you wish. Note that after you start diving for a while you'll probably start to leave the snorkel at home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom