Do all masks come apart?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sorry to ask another dumb question, but I'm looking at the yuckies stuck inside my mask and being too cheap to buy a new mask, I'm wondering if all masks come apart, and yes, go back together and still work.

well, you'll know if it works or not on your next dive ...

but what exactly do you mean by "fall apart"?

H2Andy:
well, you'll know if it works or not on your next dive ...

but what exactly do you mean by "fall apart"?

I never said "fall apart." I was thinking of pulling it apart (there is apparently a seam in the plastic) but a mental pic akin to your first comment made me wonder if I should be forcing the issue.

I'm not sure what "yuckies" you have stuck in there, but why not soak it in a mild mixture with either vinegar or bleach to kill them? I assume they are stuck between the lense and the frame, correct?

There is no hard & fast rule. Some masks are made to be stripped down - you unclip a bridge piece and the rest of the mask falls apart.
If you're curious about a particular model ask for a quote to have prescription lenses put into your frame. I remember when I was quoting prescription lenses the salesperson already knew with which masks it was easy to get the lenses out and replace them and which masks had risks of breakage.
Anyway, coming back to your original question, a medium toothbrush and toothpaste often works wonders.

I think I know what the orginal poster might be referring to. I am constantly getting mold growing in between the glass and plastic. But it's so dang humid here in summer that mold grows about everywhere. Leather shoes are a hard target to keep free of mold in summer.

I've got a USD Hawaii II?? mask, I think?

Anyway, I occasionally take it apart to swap between prescription lenses and non-prescription lenses, but have also taken it apart just to clean it.

It has two lenses, and each is held in by a plastic ring on the front that snaps in place. You have to be careful not to break the plastic, and also take care to get the lenses seated in the silicon part properly when you put it back together.

Overall, if it just needs cleaning, I'd recommend trying the soak and scrub methods already recommended.

jagfish:
I think I know what the orginal poster might be referring to. I am constantly getting mold growing in between the glass and plastic. But it's so dang humid here in summer that mold grows about everywhere. Leather shoes are a hard target to keep free of mold in summer.

Yup--right on the money. I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I know how to clean my mask so it doesn't fog up. I got "yuckies" which is either mold or algae growing between the lense and frame, so no amount of scrubbing with a toothbrush will help.

As for plastic clips, I don't see any. That's why I stopped the force method and decided to ask the question on this forum.

I tried soaking. Maybe my solution wasn't strong enough. I'll give that another try.

Thanks for all the replies.

Back
Top Bottom