Another folding snorkel question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joeabroad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I decided that I really didn't want my snorkel hanging off my mask anymore, but wanted to have one with me, and so I picked up an Aqualung Snap. I like the way it folds up but I'm finding its clip difficult to attach to my mask strap--and I can't even imagine trying to do this at the times when I'll want to use it--for example, when I'm floating in the water with my thick 3-finger mitts on.

Can anyone recommend a folding mask with an easy-to-use clip? The Apollo Prestige looks like it might do the trick.

The Avid folding snorkel has a very easy to use clip - quite large - another option is to just tuck your snorkel under your mask strap.

This is a riddle I am still trying to solve myself.

At present, I have the Aqualung Snap Snorkel clipped in my pocket when I am teaching PADI classes:
http://www.aqualung.com/products/snap.html

It is one of the most compact folders, but I have one problem with the unit.

When folded in it's holder, the snorkel clip has a tendency to come loose and fall into my pocket somewhere, or worse, get lost. I tried keeping the clip on my mask strap for a while, but it has a tube attached for the snorkel to fit into. The tube keeps catching my long hose during OOA drills, not good at all.

So, if anyone has another folder that works well, I'm all ears as well.

kidspot:
Try this one Jagfish - http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=AvidSnorkel I put a loop of bungee and snap over it, then clip off in my pocket with a double ender. Not a very good snorkel, but it's great for meeting requirements when necessary :wink:

Aloha, Tim
Hey Tim
Yeah, I've seen the Avid. I've heard that the inside of the lower portion is corrugated and pretty difficult to clear. Maybe now that I know I am never really going to use the snorkel, I should just go with one that stows well.

I might give this one a shot...thanks...

I just skip the clip and hold the snorkel in place by sliding the tube under my mask strap. Not a very elegant solution - and not one I would use if I was getting in the water to go snorkeling - but it seems to work when you need to fish a snorkel out of a pocket and use it. It's kinda hard to attach a snorkel clip to a mask strap while maintaining "demonstration quality."

Tom

jagfish:
This is a riddle I am still trying to solve myself.

At present, I have the Aqualung Snap Snorkel clipped in my pocket when I am teaching PADI classes:
http://www.aqualung.com/products/snap.html

It is one of the most compact folders, but I have one problem with the unit.

When folded in it's holder, the snorkel clip has a tendency to come loose and fall into my pocket somewhere, or worse, get lost. I tried keeping the clip on my mask strap for a while, but it has a tube attached for the snorkel to fit into. The tube keeps catching my long hose during OOA drills, not good at all.

So, if anyone has another folder that works well, I'm all ears as well.
:D

tterry1:
I just skip the clip and hold the snorkel in place by sliding the tube under my mask strap. Not a very elegant solution - and not one I would use if I was getting in the water to go snorkeling - but it seems to work when you need to fish a snorkel out of a pocket and use it. It's kinda hard to attach a snorkel clip to a mask strap while maintaining "demonstration quality."

Tom

:D
Yeah, that's a good point. The only PADI technique I really need to use the snorkel for is the snorkel to reg exchange. How does this work out with your snorkel tucked under your mask strap?

Jim

The tube will turn under the mask strap, although not as freely as in one of the hard plastic clips. I just twist the snorkel out of my mouth and put in the regulator. Might be worth a try to avoid fooling with the clip.

Tom

jagfish:
Yeah, that's a good point. The only PADI technique I really need to use the snorkel for is the snorkel to reg exchange. How does this work out with your snorkel tucked under your mask strap?

Jim

tterry1:
The tube will turn under the mask strap, although not as freely as in one of the hard plastic clips. I just twist the snorkel out of my mouth and put in the regulator. Might be worth a try to avoid fooling with the clip.

Tom
Thanks for that, Tom.
I'll give it a try.

Jim

I think I'll get the Aqualung snap for my pocket. Does it work very well as a snorkle when you actually need one on say a long surface swim? ( I usually swim on my back on the surface but I might need a snorkle at some point)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom