Mask Defogger used by the Pacific Whale Foundation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chuybregts

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys, Looking for some group knowledge here.

Last year on my Honeymoon, my wife and I went Snorkelling with the Pacific Whale Foundation on Maui. Not only was this a fantastic trip, but my wife has since expressed interest in joining me in my dive hobby.

Anyway, on the boat, they had a bucket that we could dip our masks into that contains some coctail of chemicals that prevented mask fogging. Now, I'm a relatively seasoned diver and have no issues defogging a mask, but this stuff, wow, was amazing. So, does anyone know what they would have used? (maybe mop and glow with water?) I'm sure whatever it was, probably wasn't healthy on the eyes, but ah well, I'd still like to know :)

Thanks!

Chris

I don't know, but was it soapy? I use Johnsons & Johnsons "no more tears" Baby Shampoo and it works great. I saw a DM in Puerto Rico using it and have used it ever since. The bucket you saw could have had J&J diluted in it, but I don't know. I put it on full strength (just a drop), smear it around, and rinse off a few times. As I said,.. works great and it's super cheap.

Hmmm, I haven't heard of the J&J Baby shampoo, I'll have to give it a try. The stuff the Pacific Whale foundation used had a brown tint to it and unfortunately I can't remember the smell well enough to compare it to the Baby Shampoo smell.

Thanks guys! You've at least giving me an idea to try :)

Great. Hope it works as well for you as it does for me. Put a dab on, rub it around and rinse out. Just remember,.. it's the same principle as spit... you don't need to see or feel it on the glass to know that it will work. (I dove once after starting to use J&J and neglected to rinse out my mask thoroughly enough - wasn't a pleasant experience. It wasn't a dive breaker,.. just I could smell the shampoo the entire dive)

Gold Sea Drops or tooth paste (noth gel and non-mint/menthol) does the trick every time. Just remember to gently rinse the mask after applying the paste or drops so as not to clean it all off before the dive. It's much better than sticking your mask in a bucket full of unknown "stuff".

cbborromeo:
It's much better than sticking your mask in a bucket full of unknown "stuff".

When we went Ice Diving there was this little 6x6' 7' tall tent that had a bucket of tinted water in it. We were told this was definatley not the rinse bucket......just an observation on my part.:D

Don't tell anyone, but before the dive the deckhands all got together and spat into that bucket for a good hour so you could have a fog-free mask. Bless their hearts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom