Mask recommendation.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katz

Reaction score
Hi,

I've lost my Mares X-vision two days ago. Are there any better masks available right now, or X-vision is still the best?

I have to weigh in to say that I hate those squeeze to release gadgets on the sides of the mask. I have a Mares Purevision, soon to be replaced, and have several times accidentally squeezed the button while getting myself together in my thick cold water gloves. The consequences of which are a huge pain in the butt.

yeah i also dont like the releases on my pure vision when i take my mask off using the releases hair always gets caught in it. though i could just pull the mask off...

Scubapro frameless mask less air volume

I was an X-Vision fan, even though I hated the release clips, until last week. During a dive the lens on a new mask just popped out on one edge, flooding immediately.

I picked up the DiveRite frameless and it fit great. I think the X-Vision offered more lens realestate, but I'm not going back. The Scubapro frameless are good, but it doesn't fit me well.

I love my Atomic frameless...very low volume and great visibility. Best mask I've had yet.

Two years ago, a company named Promate cloned the Scubapro frameless. Retail is about $30 but I've seen on EBay for less. Highly rated by Scubalab. I switched to this brand from SP and can say it is the equal of the SP product. Ten years ago, the expensive SP frameless was a pioneer and highly prized by freedivers. Buying one of those masks was not easy as they were in extremely short supply. Today, they are easy to obtain, and WRT to the Promate, at a reasonable price. It is somewhat amusing and gratifying to see the frameless gradually accepted by Scuba divers. This is a logical development in several respects. Try it.

Jason Ooi:
Scubapro frameless mask less air volume

dunno if it can beat the ATOMIC AtomicVision frameless.... this badBoy is so low volume i had to trim my eyebrows to keep from touching the glass!

I looked at pics of the two Atomic low volume masks. The marketing and development of Atomic products seems to follow the policy of copying the best ideas on the current market and adding improvements or gimmicks. The results are generally good but pricey. For example, the Atomic Vision appears to be a copy of the Mares X vision. I don't know what to say about the Atomic Frameless. It seems to be more innovative than a pure clone with elements from several existing ideas.

Currently, I am interested in what will be the next generation of masks. I bought a Sphera swimmers mask for testing. This item is not a Scuba mask but shows some interesting concepts. Basically, it is a twin pane, silicone with curved lenses. The warped lenses allow twice the peripheral vision of the general line up favored by Scuba divers. However, the up/down vision of this non Scuba mask is slightly less than the frameless variety favored by divers. I haven't used it in water yet, just received. Based on prior comments, I am lead to understand that the magnification effect is cancelled but optical quality is just so-so. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom