Contact lenses vs Corrective lens mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheAlphaMag

Reaction score
From my experience swimming in my pool for the past few years, I can get away with contacts as long as I have a mask or goggles on at all times. If the lenses get wet, they start to dissolve and distort vision in one eye (which can be a PITA).

I am not yet certified and am getting certified in a few weeks down in the keys, by the way..

I am an avid tournament paintball player, and from experience, beign able to see clearly, all the time is something very important. When I reccomend paintball masks, I suggest spending $80 or $90 for the top of the line goggles so they won't ever fog while you're on the field.

I expect the same thing to be true on diving- Especially when one is at depth.

Even if you dont know anything about contacts, what would you consider to be one of the best masks on the market right now?

Any low volume nose purge valve mask will do fine. I have hard toric contacts which occasionally pop-out. I can still clear the mask via the purge valve, while still retaining my lens(es) --somewhere in the mask-- for recovery when I eventually surface.

you would probably be happy with having your prescription "carved" into your mask. they can even do bifocal for one eye so you can read your guages easily. my husband did that, and he says it is so good, that if he lost his glasses, he could actually function quite well with his scuba mask if he had to!

I wear my contacts underwater, and have no issue with it even over 90+ minute runtimes.

I wear my contacts just so I can have an easy time on the boat inbetween dives, and I'm not forced into prescription sunglasses.

I'm considering returning to a prescription mask, though. These folks, Prescription Dive Masks, do work that is beyond superb. Bifocals, trifocals, readers, vary the split on the bifocal...whatever you want.

Go get a mask that fits. Fit is everything, and when you've found the perfect mask for your face (it doesn't matter who made it), send it in. They'll bond the lenses right in, and it will look like it came from the factory that way.

All the best, James

Thanks again to all you guys (and gals?)

I'm a sucker for shiny things, and I think I got sold on the atomic-vision ultraclears. I really want to go try em on at the LDS now.

I kinda have a big nose so I hope that it won't get in the way too much. :D

Thanks again

-Sam

My contacts are perfect underwater...Don't even give a second thought to them being there...though I do skwint when exposing my eyes to outside water and always bring a spare pair if I'm staying overnite

I dive using soft disposable lenses - I've only lost one while diving. I carry spares with me top side and I don't feel so bad if I do lose one.
If i wore hard toric leneses I would get a back up pair of soft disposables and use those.
When I wore the hard lenses any little thing would pop them out and if they got lodged under my eye lid and suction cupped that drove me batty... I wouldn't want to even think about dealing with it underwater.

As for masks, low volume works for me . The best on the market? Try on several and see what fits you best. It's also nice if you have a local dive shop that will be willing to let you try out several different masks or at least has a resonable exchange policy.
I use the Atomic Frameless and love it - also used the Cressi Big Eye - like that one too.

And finally for fogging - just make sure you scrub your newly purchased mask with tooth paste a couple times before ya use it. Also a defogger before the dive does wonders - spit, psi500, baby shampoo, etc.

Kevrumbo:
Any low volume nose purge valve mask will do fine. I have hard toric contacts which occasionally pop-out. I can still clear the mask via the purge valve, while still retaining my lens(es) --somewhere in the mask-- for recovery when I eventually surface.

I thougth I was the only one with these dammed hard lenses. Man they are a PITA!
I even lost one halfway through my advanced in Cozumel. Just last week I cracked a contact trying to get it un-suctioned from the mask lens, but they are all that will correct my kerataconic vision.

Back to the original post, One thing to keep in mind is after an hour underwater the dry air coming from your tanks, through your nose, to purge the mask can tend to dry your eyes out a little too.

i wear contacts; haven't had a problem through several cave classes and a deco procedures class which required mask removal

i don't like the idea of the corrective mask because i want to be able to see well at all
times, and if i am on a boat, that means wearing glasses up to the start of the dive,
and i'd probably lose, smash, or otherwise damage the glasses (knowing myself)

plus it's one more thing to deal with (get out of water, find glasses, wear glasses,
remove glasses, go diving ... get out, find glasses).

anyway, too much hassle in my book. put on contacts in the morning, i'm set
all day. since i am by nature a cluster-fudge, i try to minimize the opportunities
for screwing up available to me

i use toric lenses; carry a spare on trips; and can clear my mask in five seconds or less no problems

I use soft toric contacts with no problem. I always carry spares, but have never lost a lens diving (swimming, that's another thing). The advice others are giving on masks is right, fit is everything. Low volume is good, so you have less air and water to displace when clearing your mask. I have some nose issues with some masks. One thing to watch for is pressure on the bottom of your nose. It's not very obvious when you are just trying masks on, but after several days of two or three dives a day, you can get sore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom