APOLLO SPORTS Bio-Fin Pro Yellow(C-Series), ScubaPro Twin Jet Fins,Extra Force Fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mayhem

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to scubadiving, just enrolled for my OWC 2 weeks ago and after surfing thru a few websites i would like to know more about the Fins that were stated in the topic above. Can anyone give me some opinion on what fins to get based on the above selection??

I have tried a lot of fins and currently own a pair of the yellow apollos and I have to say they are far and away the best fins I have ever personally worn... everyone here has their own preference and you will probably get 12 posts equally divided among the fins you mentioned, 14 more trying to talk you into a different fin entirely, and 1 or 2 will talk about a fin you've never heard of... it is all up to you!

The reason I most like the Apollo is simple...efficiency. they are actually almost too efficient for your average run of the mill drift dive. I kick 2 or 3 times and I have to look back and make sure my buddy is still around. If you are used to "regular" fins you'll need to learn a little control with these.

You'll be easy to spot in a group of divers if you do get away from your buddy, and you'll be the first to pick yourself out in group photos time and time again.

As an added bonus, every dive boat operator you ride with will say something along the lines of how sharks are peaceful and only go after people with yellow fins.

I just bought a pair of Yellow Atomic Split Fins(So far no sharks have come after me). I am very impressed by the quality of them. I like the extra stiffness as I think this is a good thing for a younger diver to have. I recommend that you look into the Apollos and the Atomics and take each for a trip in the pool and decide which is best for your personal style.

From what I've seen on this board, there are two types of divers:

1) Those who LOVE split fins, and think they are the best thing since sliced bread, and
2) Those who HATE split fins, and think that the only fins worth diving are Jet fins and perhaps the Mares Volos.

I fall into the first category. I think Apollo split fins are the best fins ever made, and highly recommend them. Get the spring straps, it seems absurdly expensive at first but you'll thank yourself over and over down the line.

I dive the XTs, personally, but have been considering pickup a pair of the yellow fins for warm water diving where conditions are less demanding.

The ScubaPro TwinJets are good also, and there are a few who really swear by their force fins (but not nearly as many), but I think the Apollos are the best split fin made, period. The Atomic splits are supposed to be quite good as well, but I prefer the Apollos.

CompuDude:
From what I've seen on this board, there are two types of divers:

1) Those who LOVE split fins, and think they are the best thing since sliced bread, and
2) Those who HATE split fins, and think that the only fins worth diving are Jet fins and perhaps the Mares Volos.

I fall into the first category. I think Atomic split fins are the best fins ever made, and highly recommend them. Get the spring straps, it seems absurdly expensive at first but you'll thank yourself over and over down the line.

I dive the XTs, personally, but have been considering pickup a pair of the yellow fins for warm water diving where conditions are less demanding.

The ScubaPro TwinJets are good also, and there are a few who really swear by their force fins (but not nearly as many), but I think the Apollos are the best split fin made, period. The Atomic splits are supposed to be quite good as well, but I prefer the Atomics.

Someone didn't have their :coffee: this morning :wink:

Sdiver2489:
Someone didn't have their :coffee: this morning :wink:
LOL boy, you said it! Fixed my post. Thanks for the catch. :D

You are going to find more opinions than there are fins as to which ones are best. I like my old Mares Quattros. My dad hates those but loves his 30-year-old Jets. One of my best friends thinks nothing beats his Atomic split fins. The point is fins (like masks) are a very personal thing. I would suggest one of two things:

1. Just buy a pair or fins and never try another pair. You will get used to them, like them, and never know the difference (or what you missing). Whatever fin you pick you will meet someone who thinks that they are the greatest fins ever!

2. (Recommended) Go to you local dive shop (or shops) and try some. Rent them if you have to. Who ever you are doing your certification with should be able to let you try a few. Both my friend and I found our current favorite fins because an instructor let us try different pairs of fins that he had. People may not let you dive in their fins but a lot of people will let you kick around in them. In general worry more about what works for you than what works for other people. I am glad I did or my father would have me diving in a pair of 30-pound Jets.

Good luck and most importantly HAVE FUN!

Soggy

I love my Scubapro Black Twin Jet fins. I have an older set of Scubapro Jet fins and the new Scubapro Twin Jets just blow the Jet fins away.

Thanks for the inputs guys.. I am a little curious about the force fins.. No one has anything to say about them?? or are they jus overhyped?

Force Fins take some getting used to, and it appears from this board that you either love them or hate them. They are quite expensive, hence the reason perhaps not so many are as in circulation as other more-widely available and cheaper fins.

However, I've got three pairs of Force Fins – a pair of Force Fin Pros, a pair of prototype Force Fin Flying Force, and a pair of Force Fin Excellerators – and I've used them for over 3 1/2 years and I will not got back to paddle or split fins. They are ideal for me and give me plenty of power, good manoeuvrability, are small to pack, fairly lightweight, I can walk about in them, climb up any boat ladder while wearing them, etc.

If you have the chance, give 'em a try, but they might not suit you. It is all down to personal preference – me, I'm sticking with them, and I've made that decision after playing with most of the fins available on the market.

Mark

PS: Me and two others who are in a team of seven doing a charity scuba diving relay across the English Channel next week are using Excellerators. The others are using a mix of Apollo BioFins and Tusa Imprex-Zooms. Okay, so most divers aren't going to be finning along as hard as they can repeatedly, but that gives you an idea how much power versus effort you get out of all these fins – we tried some big-arsed paddle fins, but we were knackered after one run, and we've got to do 7-8 each. With the Excellerators, BioFins and Zooms, we've been able to churn out four or five runs in several hours with only an hour or so between them at the same speed.

Back
Top Bottom