Help narrowing down the fin search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abehunt

Reaction score
I dive the majority of the time from the beaches along the southern cali coast and spend a lot of time kicking out through the surf and currents so I need some power. I have tried several different fins already but nothing has really been better then the rest. I am a very strong swimmer and on a budget. I know I want an open heel and I am not a big fan of split or bio fins. Any info to narrow down the search would be helpful

abehunt,

I posted this on the other posting, but apparently as I posted it, you took it down. Anyway, if you have a limited budget, why not make your own set of "scoop" fins. I have used this design since 1968, and it works extremely well. You can see it on this site:

http://vintagescuba.proboards2.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1133330933

Buy any set of used fins with a straight blade, and modify them to be scoop fins. The ones I use are Plana Avanti, or Power Plana fins, but I have done it on a White Stag fin, and on Voit Vikings (A66) too. You can probable pick up a used pair of Power Plana or Plana Avanti fins for $20-30. Post here if you want more detail on how to make the conversion. You can see my current fins on page 3 of this above thread. These fins will compete with anything on the market today, and have major advantages over some, which I've also detailed in the thread.

SeaRat

Pick your dive boot first, then match your fin to it. Pick a blade style fin. The Mares Volo Power would be a good one, but proper fit is going to be what gives you the power. We could give you some fins recommendations if we know what size, style and thickness of boot you'll be using. One problem with fin power is that most people don't understand how important the boot to fin match is.
Take a look at the Volo Powers and see what you think, let me know if I can help...
http://crazyscuba.com/cat_adjustable.cfm

Britt :fish:

thanks for all the help I am going to my LDS to see about demoing some of the mares fins since I was kind of heading that direction already I appreciate all the comments abe

As strong swimmers, my husband and I much prefer stiffer blade fins. We find them easier to control and give us plenty of thrust when we need it. I dive with Jets and absolutely adore them, my husband has Mares Avanti Quattros and loves them. If I hadn't liked my Jets so much, I would definitely have gone with the Quattros.

Don't forget to get yourself a pair of spring straps to go with your new fins. I got some, liked them so much that I bought some for my husband without him knowing. :wink: After he tried his fins on with the new springs (and adjusted them), he declared that it was an excellent purchase. :D

I have been hearing good things about the mares fins and products overall. I am planning on doing a demo of some jets and a few different models of fins from mars thank you for the help. It has helped narrow down my search and I think I will be much more satisfied with the purchase having all the information that has been given to me from the scuba board members Abe

Back
Top Bottom