Fins too stiff... knees sore... recommendations for new fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erparamedic

Vampire Girl......er Dork
Reaction score
I currently have TUSA IMPREX fins, and have had them for about 11 years. I like them, but with my ongoing knee issues (osteo-artheritis), I'm finding that they seem too stiff and eventually the finning causes my knees to get sore. Does the soreness slow me down or inhibit my ability? Definitely not, but it's a nuicence to me, and I don't like nuicences!

Is there anyone out there that could recommend a GOOD fin that gives decent propulsion, but isn't quite as stiff? I'm not sure that I'm gonna buy a new set of fins, but would like to try some options, then make my decision.

Thanks in advance!

split fins if the ones you have are not split. I had a set of regular fins and I tried my buddie's split fins and was sold instantly. A huge difference to me. almost effortless. You may also need to work on modifying your kick.

I had a tough time finding fins because everyones I tried were too stiff and hurting an already sore knee. I now have a pair of Mares volo power which come in full foot or open back. I find that they do the job perfectly. I also have a pair of Tusa xpert zoom split fins, which I love, I found that because of the way there were angel they ere on, i was not so tired from finning and they did not hurt my knee. I believe they also come in a non split version. Best of luck

Scubra pro Jet fins are by far theb est fins out there for easying the knee and leg strain. I highly highly reccommend them. They are ugly but they are amazing!!

erparamedic,
Another vote for split fins.
I had a similar situation a few years ago-knee pain after diving, etc.
I had been using USD Blades.
I switched to SP twin jets-Black (made from a stiffer material than the grey- they give a "feel" that is closer to a paddle fin than the softer materials do.) and the pain was gone (even when I was doing 4 dives per day for 5 days in a row). I have no problems with propulsion, but I am a rec. diver, and a warm water wimp. Other diving situations may require another type fin.
Take care,
Mike

Thank you for the recommendations. I will have to check them all out.

miked10:
Scubra pro Jet fins are by far theb est fins out there for easying the knee and leg strain. I highly highly reccommend them. They are ugly but they are amazing!!

Do you mean "Twin" Jets?

The ideal fining technique is to try and keep you knees straight, relax your ankles and fin from the hip. Using this technique you should not bend your knees when fining, doing so is a very inefficient use of your fins and produces unnecessary stress on your knees.

Split fins are much more forgiving when you use a bent knee or "bicycle kick" to struggle through the water.

Try changing your technique, not your fins.

Have your buddy shoot video of your fining style and post it up for analysis.

We will get you sorted out.

I agree with WetDawg regarding style and knee strain. But that being said. I've had both knees operated on several times each so knee pain is a given. I went to a the apollo bio split fin from my Cressi Rondines(paddle) and the difference in comfort was amazing. But the trade off is this. I can't get the same control with the splits that I could with the paddles. I don't lose much in current or speed but the fine little adjustments that you may want if shootong pics or backing up just are not there.
I will probably end up back with a paddle fin for Picture taking and use the splits if sightseeing or lobstering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom