Snorkel Mask recommendation, please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

astorch

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a good, quality, affordable snorkeling mask. Something that won't leak or fog up too much. I appreciate the help. :D

Thanks

We can't tell you what won't leak. You have to go to your local LDS and try them on!

To start off naming some of the ones that sound "in your category", try the Mares X-Vision and the Cressi Big eyes

And ask the person in the shop for assistance, that's what they're there for, or search around here first for tips on how to fit a mask.

As far as fogging, lots of tips around here on that too. Pretty much any mask will fog unless cleaned and treated properly, though I find fogging is always less of a problem when snorkeling than diving. To clean a new mask scrub the lenses and the whole inside well using your fingers and toothpaste (the paste kind seems better than gel.) This removes stuff from manufacturing that will tend to make a mask fog. Rinse well. You may have to repeat occasionally. Then, use an antifog before you go snorkeling. You can buy commercial defogs but lots of things work, such as baby shampoo. Just a couple drops rubbed all over the inside of the dry lens, then rinse. (Some commercial kinds have specific instructions, like let dry first or whatever, depends on the stuff.) Lots of people just use spit and find it works as well as anything.

Yes, a mask that won't leak will depend upon fit. If your mask doesn't fit, or if it's made of the poor quality materials, it will leak. The mask needs to be made of 100% surgical grade silicone, not just a "silicone mask" that is sold by many places because that can be a mask with a small percentage of silicone, just enough to call it a silicone mask. All of the masks we sell are 100% surgical grade silicone, that's why they fit better and last longer. Here are some tips on fitting a mask:
http://www.crazyscuba.com/propermaskfitcfm.cfm

Ditto what Damselfish said about fogging. You have to clean and prepare your mask properly to remove the releasing agent that is used to protect the lenses while the mask is being made. The gel toothpastes don't work because they are gel, you need something gritty (but not something that will scratch the lens) to clean the lens. That's why Mask Scrub is made. It is designed with the proper chemicals to remove the releasing agent. Paste style toothpastes or soft scrub also works, but not always as well as the Mask scrub. Just make sure you clean it well and follow directions for mask cleaning. Then use your defog as directed. If you learn to stop exhaling through your nose it will help too. A lot of people have a problem with that because we are land breathers afterall, darnit. :D

Good luck,
Britt

I was in a Asian dive shop yesterday they had a new shipment of masks sitting on a shelf with Joy dish washing soap on the lens. The owner told me that they soak the masks for five days. Then rinse well and the masks will never fog up over their lifetime. I now have 3 masks with Joy in them now to try it out. He said the key is five days with straight Joy dishsoap.

Dale on a little rock in the Pacific

Thanks for all the help. I did visit the LDS and they had some expensive masks. Not sure which I prefer.

Well, in my view it doesn't really matter much. The most important thing is that you get the right size. You should put it on your face in the store and breathe in through your nose then hold your breath. It will stick to your face and you'll get to see whether it feels right.

I also suggest you stay away from the ones made of black rubber instead of a transparent one. Beginners tend to feel better and panic less with the transparent ones but this effect is purely psychological.

That's about it, really.

I'd rather not get into the snorkel thingie. I never use it. :D

I want to thank all who responded to my post. You were not kidding about "trying them on". I was so used to go to Kmart or Sport mart and just grabbing any old thing from the shelves.

This time around I wanted something better and didn't mind spending a little more. I must have tried 20 masks. I went with the Tusa Splendive IV. it grabbed my face like the baby alien in the movie Alien, Yet it was a lot more comfy then that alien.

I kind of feel bad for this particular LDS. They were nice and helpful but they were asking way too much. I confess; I bought it online and paid $0 for shipping, but got what I think is a great deal.

Thanks again

I dive with a Scubapro Clearvu--it's great with wide vision and fit, but downward vision could be improved. My next mask will be a Cressi-Sub Big Eyes, Mares X-Vision, Oceanic Mako or the new Scubapro Premier which are all about the same concept--wide view, low volume, angled lenses for downward view, etc.. Enjoy your TUSA.

That's another big topic about the LDS and equipment prices. I try to support my LDS too because you can't get training online. They are also always running charters and trips that I enjoy. I realize gear sales is where they make most of their money. I hate that I can't always support them, but I can't rationalize paying $100 more for a BC or $30 more for a mask just to be nice... I work too hard for my paycheck.

I would even pay a little more than internet prices at my LDS, but not when it's double in the case of a mask.

astorch:
I went with the Tusa Splendive IV.
LOL! You ended up buying the exact model of a mask that I'm actually using! Excellent choice, it is a great product. Have fun diving! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom