Force Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doos

Registered
Reaction score
On a recent diving trip to the West Coast, I tried out a pair of Force Fins (borrowed from the guide just to try, I'd never seen them before). I quite liked them, and he mintioned that "you either love them or hate them". He also mentioned something to the effect of "they aren't popular with the DIR crowd". Not sure what he meant there...

Anybody have any experience with these fins and likes or dislikes? Or a reason for the DIR comment?

Love them.:D

First started using them about nine years ago with my dry suit and have used nothing else in open water.

Who manufactures them?

doos:
On a recent diving trip to the West Coast, I tried out a pair of Force Fins (borrowed from the guide just to try, I'd never seen them before). I quite liked them, and he mintioned that "you either love them or hate them". He also mentioned something to the effect of "they aren't popular with the DIR crowd". Not sure what he meant there...

Anybody have any experience with these fins and likes or dislikes? Or a reason for the DIR comment?

DIR stands for Do It Right (or don't do it at all). It's a way of diving that was started by a a bunch of cave divers who use the frogkick so they don't silt up the caves. Force fins are not good for the frogkick or certain other kicks, so the DIR crowd doesn't like them.

doos:

Love 'em or leave 'em.

I'm in the former category. A different kick is required to use them effectively, but I find them effective. They're useless for snorkeling and I'm not surprised that someone noted they're not good for frog kicking, although I've never tried that with them.

*Floater*:
Force fins are not good for the frogkick or certain other kicks, so the DIR crowd doesn't like them.

yea.... you're much better off with a pair of Cressi GARA fins for frog kicking since it's a well know fact that frogs feet are almost as long as their body and Cressi GARA fins are almost as long as your body therefore they MUST be great for frog kicking.

I started using them after repeated cramping of my hamstrings when using more traditional fins (Jets). I use them exclusively now. Not only do my hammys fare better when I'm tired and cold, but I don't get blisters on the tops of my toes like I used to get after long swims in other fins. They do take some getting used to. I've found that snorkeling with them is simple enough, but I have to tilt my body a bit to keep the fins in the water (I sort of snorkel on my side with them). A variety of kicks can be used with them, but frog kicking is not their forte. On the other hand, backing up with them is very easy. I should also mention that I have a rather protrusive bone on the top of each of my feet, and it made the fins very uncomfortable for me at first. I called the company, spoke to Bob Evans (company founder) himself, described my problem, and he told me to mark the fins where they hurt my feet and send the fins back to him. Not more than 10 days later, I had my fins back with a neat hole cut into the top strap to accommodate the bone in my foot. They're far and away the most comfortable fins I've ever used now. Another unexpected advantage is that they're easy to walk in. When on boats, I put them on with the rest of my gear and simply walk to the exit point without tripping all over myself. If you can, try them for a few days in a pool to see what you think of them. I don't care how odd they look (see the photo of me on the index page of my web site http://claycoleman.tripod.com -Clay

I can't stand the things but they work great for my wife who has MS.

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom