Review Off the Rack Bifocal Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tuffshed

Reaction score
Boarders,

I'm getting on in age (52) and what used to be 20/20 vision is now still pretty good, but I have to use +1.75 glasses for reading. I'm looking into getting an off the rack mask with bifocals. I've been doing some research and found a few I am interested, The H2O Alpha 4, The XS MA280 Gauge Reader and the SeaVision 2600 IV. I'm looking to get them not only to see my gauges and camera but for also looking at small critters, so I've eliminated some models as they have downward looking windows for guages only. I would like to hear your opinions on these models if you have used them, or others if they are easily available. With the aging population, seems like someone should have done a comprehensive reveiw on off the rack bifocal masks, but they haven't so let's do one here. The manufacturers sites are sorely lacking on up close pictures and details. Things I would like to hear about :

1. Fit - I have a thinner face with moustache. Does the mask have double skirt?
2. Far Vision - Can you see clearly at distance without annoying bifocal line?
3. Near Vision - Can you see up close easily without cocking your head too much? Can you see with both eyes?
4. Side vision - Can you see peripheral images?
5. Availability - I can't possibly shop 6 different LDS looking at all the brands so they need to be available online. You could get exotic and order custom prescriptions, but then they wouldn't be off the rack, i.e. expensive and unavailable if you need to pick some up quickly.

Another question I'll pose here which I cannot find the answer to : I use +1.75 reading glasses, do I need to adjust this for underwater with the figures quoted on the lens? In other words, if I use +1.75 in air will a +1.75 look the same underwater or will I need to order a +2.5 or a +1.5 or ? In other words, are the correction factors the mask manufactures quote equivalent to those in air?

Here is my experience and some of the masks I've found.

Stick on Bifocals - I have had much experience with these. You can either buy the Optix brand for a whopping $30 or there are many alternatives for much less. I bought a pair at Walgreens for $5. They work pretty good for what you pay for them (if you get the $5 version) but they are a half circle and don't fit nicely into a mask unless you cut them. They are hard to position so that they are positioned at the bottom snugly so they don't waste far vision area on your mask They stick pretty well but I have lost 2 of them as they do work loose when constantly soaked in water (see below). The real problem that I found with these is that these will usually always fog up long before the rest of the mask fogs up, must be the plastic construction. I have found that I have to keep a bit of water in my mask to slosh around and clear the fog from these, fog drops don't help, in fact it seems to make it worse. If you are cheap or need something at the last minute these will do in a crunch. I have a pair in my save-a-dive kit.

H2 Odyssey Alpha 2 - $50 + $54 for lenses = $104
H2 Odyssey Alpha 4 - $60 + $54 for lenses = $114
http://www.diveremporium.com/h2odysseymasks.html
The Alpha 4 seems to be similar to the Alpha 2 except they have clear plastic sides for peripheral vision. I like this and have it in my current mask. You can't really see out the sides but you can see your dive buddy or cave wall out of your peripheral vision and is a feature I seek.

XS Scuba Down Look MA280 Gauge Reader w/+1.75 bifocal - $68
http://www.scuba.com/shop/diving.asp_cat_53_scuba_1_gear_027145_pn_XS-SCUBA-DOWN-LOOK-MASK-WITH-GAUGE-READER

Seavision 2600 IV w/ Gauge ReaderT +2.00 lens - $210
Seavision 2000 w/ Gauge ReaderT +2.00 lens - $210
Seavision 2200 Ultra comfort w/ Gauge ReaderT +2.00 lens - $210
http://www.seavisionusa.com/index.html

A few others I've seen that have bifocals:
Tusa Splendive IV or Platina - can only find these on UK sites
Mares Xvision - can only find these on UK sites

- Mike (aka tuffshed)

Well, I have nothing but good things to say about the Sea Vision masks.

I started out with the Sea Vision "Gauge Reader".

But now I'm at the point where I have to have honest to goodness bi-focal lenses. The diopters don't do it for my eyes.

Sent my prescription to Sea Vision and two weeks later I had a mask that gives me perfect vision under water.

The skirts are fan-tab-u-lous !!!

the K

Did you have the Seavison 2000, 2200 or 2600 ? I have heard good things about Seavision, but haven't been able to find out about sizing (do you have a small, average, large face) I really can't buy off on their coloring scheme as I'm looking for a general purpose mask (deep but <120, shallow, snorkel, night) but those that I have heard like them. How is the bifocal line, high, low, about right?

Are there no old farts like me on this board that need bifocals? :wink:

Nobody with lots of opinions...like me ?

Hmmmm.... everybody must be off diving....

Come on people, fess' up, I know there are some old folks out there...

Well this thread gives me something else to think about. I recently had a cataract removed so my prescription lens mask will need to be updated. I can see distance very clearly with my new implanted lens but reading gauges is going to be a problem. Oh well, when you get older if it isn't one thing, it's another...:shakehead

I've always had opinions, and consider myself a 'middle fart' no matter what my eyes think.:14:

If you have ideas for a new offering that captures a market segment that's not currently being served, you could get in touch with a scuba company rep and see what you can come to terms on. I'm getting a brand new 'middle fart' prototype mask just for being a squeaky wheel!

But you have to hold up your end with constructive whining - works for me!:D

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=178416

That way, the market will already have something when I have to move to the next step if you come up with a new twist on the mouse trap.

Have you considered contact lenses plus a gauge reader mask (you probably have, but thought I'd ask - it will definitely work for me and I have quite a bit of astigmatism, especially my left 'weaker' eye). Want to test drive the blue frame clear silicone skirt model XS Scuba prototype as a guinea pig? Holler at Mike at XS Scuba!

tuffshed:
Are there no old farts like me on this board that need bifocals? :wink:

Nobody with lots of opinions...like me ?

Hmmmm.... everybody must be off diving....

Come on people, fess' up, I know there are some old folks out there...

I definitely need bifocals (as I found out on a horrible night dive where I learned I couldn't read my depth gauge without them) but the Gauge Reader didn't put the lenses where I needed them, so I went with custom bifocal inserts. Got them through our local optometrist -- I bought a mask and took it in, and they sent it off somewhere to get done. Took two weeks, cost $150. Ouch.

Ouch indeed. Well, you have to get what works for you. Hopefully the contact lenses / mask gauge reader lenses will work for me for a number of years to come, but no telling.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of it until now - the Oceanic HUD mask won't work well for us boomers any more - a market segment lost. I hope an updated version of the TUSA IQ-800 or similar that will do 2 nitrox mixes among other things comes along in the next several years for me.

Tuffshed, I almost forgot, Roatanman always extols the virtues of a dollar store (today's dime store) pocket magnifying glass for small critter viewing, and he's in the bifocal bracket IIRC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom