Glasses in mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyklon_300

Contributor
Reaction score
As an experiment, I put a pair of sports specs (removed the ear pieces) in my new low volume mask. The front portion of the glasses frame fits snugly without requiring any form of attachment.

Tried it in a pool and it seems to offer a decent field of vision, but fogged pretty badly. Haven't really done an all out attempt to eliminate this problem, tho...

The money saved over Rx mask lenses will get me a new spool and lift bag.

The 'fashion' factor is pretty low, but don't really care about that...

Anyone else dive this way?

No I haven't tried it, but I'm interested. Do you mean that you just stuck them on your nose and the mask kept them in place? Interesting...

into the interior of the mask and are just wide enough to be held firmly in place by the skirt.

I tried to dislodge them by shaking my head rapidly, but they stayed put.

The problem with this setup is that I've tripled the number of surfaces for condensation to form on...I have a new defog solution that worked superbly on my swim goggles which are notorious for fogging so I'm hoping they'll do the trick on the mask/glasses.

I think the money would be better invested in Rx lenses.

Do a mask doff and don in the pool and see how that goes.

Let us know how it goes once you try using the defogger on all the surfaces. I dive with my contact lenses in, but it'd be nice to know if there was a way for me to use glasses if necessary.

One day, when I have more money, I'll probably get a mask with prescription lenses, but until then, it's gonna be contacts.

This is good news. I have had cataract surgery on one eye 20 years ago and must wear a contact lens to see at all. Recently I had cataract sugery on the other eye with a lens implant. The implant had problems and I almost lost my vision completely.

RX mask lens simply will not work on the eye with the contact because I need a very large, positive diopter. The other eye also needs a positive but not as much. All the RX lens I have seen are all negative diopter.

I have heard that an additional lens can be glued on to the mask to make a positive diopter but this sounds like too much of nothing.

Also, since I must also use bifocals, wearing glasses under water sounds like a real alternative. As far as a mask ditch and don, I regularly dive now with out glasses and do alright. It is the inability to read details (like my back up pressure gauge and watch) that brothers me. I get around this by using the large computer dispaly on my Data Max pro Plus. But if my computer fails I will have some difficulty if I have to continue diving with gauges.

This is worth working with and I will post more of my experiences with diving using glasses.

I have done something similar to that. I have actually taken an old pair of glasses and removed the lenses from the frame. I usually wear the Rayban aviator glasses so the leses are pretty big. I push these lenses down into the mask ( I use a Scubapro mask with the side windows).

I apply defog to the lenses before putting them in the mask as well as defog in the mask.

Using this set up I can don and doff the mask anytime. If I do get a little fog I can flood the mask and clear the lenses.

It has been really good for me because I just didn't want to spend the money on an Rx mask.

is on hold until I get over the flu...

$75 is a good deal, but is likely off-the-shelf lenses for popular brands (TUSA, Mares) and typically available only in negative diopters and no correction for astigmatism.

I've previously had two sets of custom Rx mask lenses that require +Rx/astigmatism/bifocal. They ran $150-180...

If your shop is truly providing custom lenses for $75, send me their name/number and I'll check em out...it'd be a bargain.

Back
Top Bottom