How much should my mask leak ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jshimmer

Reaction score
What is an acceptable amount of leakage regarding a mask?

I tried on a dozen or so masks, picked the one that seemed to fit my face the best (stayed on with just a little suction through my nose, couldn't hear any air sneaking past the silicone).

When I finally got in the water (taking OWC now), I get (somewhat minimal, but sometimes more) water in within a minute or less. The bubbles from exhaling through the regulator seem to aggrevate the situation more (cause more water to come in). I find myself clearing my mask atleast every one to two minutes. Seems like it shouldn't be that way.

Any comments would be appreciated.

My mask does not leak much at all, I may clear some water out of it 3 or 4 times in a 50-70 minute dive. Of the masks you have tried, have you gone to different dive stores and checked different brands? Different brands have slightly different shapes and sizes. Two suggestions are to have someone look carefully for small strings of hair under the mask (this one gets my wife). The other possibility, is the mask too tight? Believe it or not, a mask that fits properly should be just snugg enought to keep it on, it's not uncommon for a diver to crank down on the mask strap to "stop it from leaking" and actually make matters worse. Other than these 2 things, keep looking for a mask that fits you. I am assuming that a mustache is not the problem, shaving the area just under the nose usally does the job if the leak is there. Hope that helps.

If you are having a problem with leaking caused by a mustache or just not being perfectly close shaved, then a bit of silicone grease like you use for o-rings works great to help ensure a good seal.

Aloha,

JOnathan

When I first started in this sport, this was my biggest problem. My mask stayed flooded all the time. When I was going through the OW course and on our first pool session, it was so bad that finally I just gave up and allowed it to fill to where I couldn't see anymore, then cleared it. My instructor just laughed at me and shook his head. That night when we completed the session and everyone got out of the pool, all I could see was a blur. It was as if I was still underwater and still had a flooded mask. It took several hours for my vision to return to normal. Anyway, that night I shaved my stash in hopes of solving the problem. It helped tremendously, but didn't completely solve it. After the class was over, I let it grow back. A mushtache is as much a part of me as my arms, legs and etc, so I was determined to find a fix. I tried several masks to no avail and finally settled on a Tusa Panogeo due it being the least leaking one. What finally solved the problem for me was herman's suggestion to you. But it only worked if I kept that area shaved. If I simply shaved it right before a dive, then the mask still leaked. I guess it has something to do with the way the skin is after you shave. I don't know how to explain it, but you guys that have mustaches/beards and shaved them after years, know what I mean. I can now enjoy a complete dive sometimes without ever having to clear my mask, other times I clear it 1 or 2 times. And remember, all the strap is there for is to keep the mask from falling off your face. It's not there to force a seal. You should even be able to get a good seal underwater without the strap even being in place.

When I first bpught my mask for my OWC I had the same problem. I thought by tightening the strap more and more i would solve the problem instead like the others i made matters worse. I have a mustache and i don't use any silicone or anything like that. I think its just a matter of fit. If the mask fits your face well and the seal is complete it just a matter of adjusting the strap till its at comfotable level without being to loose or to tight. To answer your question about how much water should there be in your mask?..... I think that there will always be a little bit regardless.

Just my $.02

I have a mustache & beard and went through lots of masks till I found two (they had to be prescription lenses, to boot) that sealed well and are comfortable. They must sit in an exact positional "sweet spot" and then I can go about 10 minutes without needing to clear without silicone, and over a half hour with it. I also find that with a strap that's not too snug, I can clear a bit of water out of the bottom of the mask by tilting my head back and slowly exhaling from my nose, without touching the mask. I like to keep just a small amount of water in the mask, so I can clear away any fogging areas by tilting my head down and moving the bit of water to wipe away the fogging area.

Just got back from a nice, relaxing dive at Palauea.

Have you ever dived Mala Wharf, Warhammer ? We dove there this week and it was way cool, with a number of white tips over 7 feet in residence and a rare frogfish, too.

Aloha,

JOnathan

Nope, missed that one while we were there a few months ago. But I'll be back! If I could find a job that paid enough to support my wife and myself, I'd pack up and move there.

By getting a mask with a purge valve in it.I have a 'full set' and the water leaks around my whiskers.I just blow and it clears.With good antifog I have no problems.Mine cost me
$15 US and is in Korea with me now.Maybe try that.It is an older design and is rubber but suits me fine.
You know who...
The Gasman

G-man,

Glad it works for you, but I sure couldn't recommend one. Just recently had ritual burial after cremation of the sorry excuse of a sonofa*****g no good for nothing mask.

I just grabbed my son's non-purge valve, traditional mask and slapped it on and managed 35 minutes at depth without a leak. What a welcome respite from that sorry piece of sh********t purge valve equipped mask.

Just my .02 IMHO.

Jimbo

I've dived with purge valves for years.Maybe I have a wide face? I've seen people on the boards knocking them but in my country it is a top seller.Not because it is marketed.In my local shop it is tucked away to the side around a corner and yet it is their top selling mask.What is it that everyone has problems with? Give me a hint.
Thanks,
Gasman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom