Need mask to go over glasses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bellaleo

Registered
Reaction score
i live in a small town called friuthurst in north
# of dives
0 - 24
im going snorkling for the frist time in a few day i have not got a mask yet. i wear glases and can not get contacts in time. what should i do. do they make mask to go over glasses or can i buy a large mask and fold them and place them in side. i have also though about geting swim goggles and puting them under my glasses and wearinga nose plug. i will be geting contacts soon but i got to figure out something for this weekend.

in a pinch
bella

You can get a mask that has prescription lenses built right into it. Just bring you prescription into a local dive store and you should be able to walk out the door with a mask.

How bad are your eyes? The water itself will help magnify things a little. You don't have to see perfectly to enjoy snorkeling.

Large masks are not so easy to find as they are undesirable for a bunch of reasons. (Especially for diving, and you mention in another post you will be taking a dive class soon?) I wouldn't get one just for one time snorkeling, as then you will have a mask that's not really right. And even if you fold your glasses won't the arms be right in your view?

Swim goggles under your glasses will not work. Lenses will not work the same in water as they do in air, they won't do much. And of course swim goggles are no good for actual diving either.

You can buy some dive masks where the regular lenses can be taken out and lenses of the right diopter put in easily. (If you have a straightforward prescription, nothing exotic.) So if you can find a mask that fits properly (ask the shop for advice on fitting) AND they have the right lenses in stock, that's something you could do quickly then you wouldn't need contacts for diving. (Though if your eyes are really bad, people do like to be able to take off their mask when they come up and still be able to see, one advantage of contacts over a prescription mask.)

I am not sure this will be fast enough but you could contact seavision and ask them if they can get you a mask before you go. They are very good with just about any kind of script and are fairly close (in Fl.) the website Sea Vision - Your Single Source for Prescription Dive Masks

Good luck, hope you can get what you need before you go, and welcome to the board.

This advice is probably too late to do you any good for your next outing, but do yourself a favor and go to:

AQUATIC OPTICS INDEX

They stock a number of single-strength perscription lenses for A LOT of masks, and if you send them your perscription they will custom grind lenses to fit your mask and your perscription.

These folks are very helpful.

Not affiliated, just a happy customer.

im going snorkling for the frist time in a few day i have not got a mask yet. i wear glases and can not get contacts in time. what should i do. do they make mask to go over glasses or can i buy a large mask and fold them and place them in side. i have also though about geting swim goggles and puting them under my glasses and wearinga nose plug. i will be geting contacts soon but i got to figure out something for this weekend.

in a pinch
bella

You might be surprised. If you stop by a high-volume contact-lens place like Wal-Mart, they may be able to do an exam and have the lenses right in stock.

If not, and you tell them what you're doing they may have some free samples of something that's close enough to use until the correct one comes in.

Terry

My wife gets free trial contacts from her optometrist when ever her perscription changes or they decide to try something different. Or O.D. is at a Sears store so I doubt that she does a high volume like Wal-Mart. So try asking around for a trial set to wear in your mask for snorkeling.

you can also get Diopter lenses. These are like the reading glasses you see. They are not necessarily your exact prescription, but they can come close. Your local dive shop may have these in stock. they are designed for specific masks. So, like me, the mask of your dreams may change depending on what lenses are available. The shop can install them, often no charge. To see what lense works for you, hold the lense a little bit further away than your glass lense.
Mine work great, I've used them for 5 years without problems. For exact prescription lenses, it will take more time, 2-3 weeks for the lenses to be made for a specific mask, if the Diopter lenses don't work for you. They are also $$, usually $200 + or - a few $.

As mentioned the mask/water interface will provide about a diopter of magnification.

Dive shops do sell some masks with stock diopter replaceable lenses however these will not correct for astigmatism.

Contacts are a very good option especially on short notice, if you can get them and if you can adapt to them.

Since you are going skin-diving you will not be relying on reading instruments so you can afford to loose some clarity short term. It may leave your eyes fatigued and being a visual experience there
will be some loss of brilliance but the good news is that it only gets better.

Getting a good fit on a mask is sometimes a challenge and this may be a blessing. I would suggest visiting a dive shop and getting the best fitting non prescription mask you can buy. Make your trip and be sure that it fits right. The when you get home have script overlays added either by your dive shop sending it out or by dealing direct with someone like prescriptiondivemasks.com

This way if the fit just isn't right in the water you are only out the cost of the mask. Also if your script is not current you will have time for a fresh exam. Since in your wetsuit post it sounds like skin-diving is your gateway to scuba I encourage you to get this right since there will be long term value.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom