Baby shampoo trivia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damselfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Lots of people use baby shampoo as defog because besides doing the job cheap, it doesn't irritate eyes. I recently learned something interesting about baby shampoo. What makes it "no tears" isn't some special lack of irritating ingredients, but that they put a mild anesthetic in it!

Lots of people use baby shampoo as defog because besides doing the job cheap, it doesn't irritate eyes. I recently learned something interesting about baby shampoo. What makes it "no tears" isn't some special lack of irritating ingredients, but that they put a mild anesthetic in it!

So instead of crying because you got soap in your eyes, it makes you glad!:wink:

Really? Is that true about baby shampoo? I know that it has been suggested to clear your mask from build up use mild toothpaste or Johnson's Baby Shampoo. I don't think I like the idea anesthetic in my shampoo.

Really? Is that true about baby shampoo? I know that it has been suggested to clear your mask from build up use mild toothpaste or Johnson's Baby Shampoo. I don't think I like the idea anesthetic in my shampoo.

Cleaning the mask is done with toothpaste or other mild abasives.

Treating as a defog is done with babay shampoo, saliva, commercial defog and other home remedies. This is done after cleaning.

They are 2 different tasks & functions.

The anesthetic is obviously very mild and in normal use you are not in contact with the stuff. That is an interestng fact though.

Pete

Always check internet rumors - from the Johnson company web site - JOHNSON'S Baby

"I received an email that said the reason why JOHNSON´S® Baby Shampoo was gentle to the eyes was because it contains numbing agents that numbs the eyes if contact occurs.

The assertion that chemicals are added that numb the baby's eyes is totally false. The reason JOHNSON´S® shampoo formulas do not irritate the eyes is the mildness of the formulation, which has undergone extensive clinical testing and has proven to be as gentle to the eyes as pure water."

Always check internet rumors - from the Johnson company web site - JOHNSON'S Baby

"I received an email that said the reason why JOHNSON´S® Baby Shampoo was gentle to the eyes was because it contains numbing agents that numbs the eyes if contact occurs.

The assertion that chemicals are added that numb the baby's eyes is totally false. The reason JOHNSON´S® shampoo formulas do not irritate the eyes is the mildness of the formulation, which has undergone extensive clinical testing and has proven to be as gentle to the eyes as pure water."

Are you saying that I can't use my defog as an excese when I'm accused of being numb in the head? :(

The numbing rumor is unsubstantiated.

Most baby shampoo's use sodium trideceth sulfate and/or a non-ionic surfactant. Surfactants are the chemicals that allow water to surround non-charged particles such as dirt and "dissolve" them into solution [think detergents and soaps]. Sodium trideceth sulfate irritates less because it is not strong enough to strip off the protective layers of the eyes and skin. The exposure of the underlying tissue to the environment leads to the irritation and resulting pain.

A similar comparison can be made between regular soap and dishwasher detergent. Compare showering with soap vs. dish detergent. The red irritation you observe from using dishwater detergent is, in part, a result of the stronger surfactant used in dishwasher detergent [please do not do this].

We could attack this argument in another way as well: If the lack of irritation was due to a numbing agent, the exposed individual would be expected to exhibit red irritated eyes with no associated pain, a.k.a. numbed pain. What you actually find is no red irritated eyes and no pain, a.k.a. no need to numb pain.

Interestingly, you cannot use baby shampoo on dogs since it IS strong enough to remove enough of their skins oil to produce irritation and pain. Animal testing = BAD.

Please also consider that some individuals may suffer an allergic reaction to any ingredient in any product. There are indeed babies and adults who react negatively to generic baby lotion for this reason. So always test new products for side effects before slathering them on!

Severe allergic reaction = BAD
ANAPHYL.jpg

For a breakdown of each of the chemicals in J&J's baby shampoo check this out.

I heard this in a workshop I took recently and actually did a lot of reading around to try and determine if it was true or not. Found lots of places that said it was and none refuting it. Not sure what to believe, since pretty much everyone has an agenda. (Though personally, J&J is the last source I would believe. :) )

Personally, I would go with the American Chemical Society. Their only agenda is to redden the eyes of hapless premeds with hour after hour of organic chemistry problem sets.

Seriously, not reporting an active ingredient? Discovering a hidden numbing agent would only take a little spectroscopy. Any one of J&J's competitors would just love to destroy J&J's reputation, and there are like 10,000 Holy Order of the Protect Our Children Advocacy Groups that scrutinize this stuff.

I would be much more concerned about the purity of the product than the formulation. Rats falling into vats is much more common.

Yeah, I wouldn't really expect them to lie about the active ingredients. My question would be does one of the things that is listed in the gobbledygook of ingredients have this as one of it's properties. If not, then not.

mmm, rats.

Back
Top Bottom