Full Face Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a diver who normally has a Wyatt Earp moustache most of the time and no matter what, I'd have to really trim down or 'trench' out my moustache to wear any mask. A full face mask would solve the problem for sure. Anyone had any experiences with any full face masks, and if so, what were the positives vs the negatives?

I've been looking into the Scubapro version, but I dunno much about them, their drawbacks, etc.

Anyone?

Here are just a few threads that have been posted that should provide the info you're looking for:

http://www.scubaboard.com/search.ph...d=235489&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

(I trimmed down the 4 pages the search of "FFM" turned up)

Bottom line, you don't have to spend a pile of bucks on a FFM, but if you want to, skip over the sportie stuff like Neptune & Scubapro. Go with a lightweight commercial grade FFM like the AGA, EXO, or the new Poseidon.

Hi,
I liked the EXO, but at $800, thats abit out of my league, I am afriad. Unless it can be had for less?

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Hi,
I liked the EXO, but at $800, thats abit out of my league, I am afriad. Unless it can be had for less?

Hey Scoobie, I don't know what your budget is but I've seen the AGA's and the EXO's going from 400-600 on Ebay. Their is a regular abundance of the SP's and the Neptunes for a couple hundred depending on the model.

My first FFM was the Ocean Reef Neptune II which I sold after using it a couple of times. I now own an AGA FFM, I did not opt for the pos pressure version since I'm not using it to dive in comtaminated waters. I love my AGA FFM, it was more expensive than the Neptune but well worth it. Since all of my diving is done in cold water, the first thing I noticed was that my face was warm and dry. Since dry gas flows over the inside of the visor you never have to worry about your mask fogging up. I had several reasons for using a FFM, one of the main features was the ability to communicate while diving. The only disadvantage that I have experienced is communicating at the surface, it's easy to remove your reg from your mouth to talk but, you don't want to remove your FFM once it's on. IMO if you purchase an FFM get the following options, 1 - a surface valve so you can breathe ambient air until you are ready to descend. 2 - Quick disconnect at the FFM second stage, or somewhere on the hose, makes setup and removal much easier. I had the ambient air valve installed on my AGA, it looks a little goofy but sure saves on tank gas. My next purchase will be the OTS communication system.

just like a mask you must try on the FFM. The EXO didnt fit me nearly as nice as the Aga, yet my buddy was the oposite.

I own and dove both the Pos pressure and demand versions of the aga. I like them both. However, my Pos pressure Aga has a rubber skirt which has not held up too well. My newer Aga , the demand one, has a Silicone skirt wich i hope will last longer. Its an ugly gold color though.

I got the Demand version new for $275 and i know my buddy didnt pay $800 for his Exo so look into pricing, something dont sound right there.

My buddy was diving the scubapro FFM which i beleive is a FFM without a reg like the Aga and EXO. You use your own standard scuba reg. He didnt much like it and thats why he got the EXO.

Your solution to buying a FFM to correct your Wyatt Erp issue sounds a little overkill and brings up some issues:

You need to address the issue of and OOA emergancy using FFM and will your buddy/ buddys know how to deal with your setup.

The service on the Aga is done only by a selected shops ( OTS is local to me and they are who i used)

Service and parts are a little more expensive than the norm. They also have more than the average parts if i recall.

As mentioned you need to get a Valve ( they sell them, i dont use one tho) installed if you plan on wearing it on the surface and not breathing from your tank.

more difficult to put on than a standard reg and mask.

Equalization is different but not difficult. It uses a adjustilbe rubber blocks inside the mask which you position by the nose. Pushing slightly up on the mask forces the blocks to close your nose and you blow to equlaize.

takes more time to clean after a dive. Lots of areas to catch sand and needs a really good rinsing.

Some things like about Aga masks:

Warm and comfortable ( my main reason for the purchase, i was diving Lake Tahoe)

During surf entries and exits i dont have to hold my reg and mask on, the spider secures the Aga very well, it never came off on me doing serious beach diving and nasty surf entries and exits, 6 ' surf in some cases. I could rely on it to stay put and that was a big +.

EZ breather shallow and at 200'

Even if i didnt shave for a few days i still got a good seal.

Andy

if your local to OC california your more than welcome to dive mine and see if you like them before spending the $.

Reason being, my dive buddy and I were diving the Yukon Wreck in San Diego and after 30 minutes in current, we had to ascend. Later when I asked him, he told me that the reason was because the way the AGA FFM works is that due to it being an ambient breather it will use more air than regular SCUBA mask and regulator.

What do you guys think,what's the facts?

Im gonna say no, or very little difference

I did use a little more, maybe 50 psi tops, with the positive pressure mask. The demand version i see no difference.

Andy

correct me if i am wrong, i notice no difference

I used a Neptune 2 this last summer while wreck diving and found that with the surf valve I actually used less air on deep dives.
mMy face remained warm and in comparison my buddy who usually only breaths 100 or 200lbs more than me was in the 400 to 500 range.
The surf valve on the Neptune allows you to beath outside air on the surface and you only breath from the tank when its submerged.Making it better on long surface waits than using your reg.also eliminates the need for a snorkle.
I love the thing and you can get the com system for them as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom