**Split Fins – Let the Bashing Begin!**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In an effort to provide a thread where split fins can be bashed while still staying on-topic I have started this thread.

Split Fins:
  • Loved by those who use them and despised by those who don’t.
  • Claimed to be faster and easier to use by those who actually use them and won’t work in current by those who don’t.
  • Voted the divers choice in several Scuba Magazine tests by those charged with testing them and those same tests are discredited by those who don’t use them.
  • Can only perform well in one style of kicking as told by those who don’t use them.
  • You are prevented from hovering or diving upside down when using splits.
  • They are not DIR compliant and no self respecting cave diver would be caught dead wearing them.
  • One of my favorite quotes: They allow people who don't have proper kicking technique to move by moving their feet, but without kicking.
  • With cause a silt out and makes a diver to rototill the bottom, where paddles prevent siltouts and prevent divers from doing any bottom gardening.
  • Will inevitably generate comparisons to propellers, marine life, birds and paddle wheeled boats.
  • We generate posts where engineering pedigrees are trotted out.
  • The US Navy does not use them so they must be un-American.
  • Will sgnerate personal bashing and squabbles in any thread that mentions them.
  • Split fins still out sell all other fins types.
Did I miss anything?

Nope... you pretty much covered it.

BTW, the reason they're the best selling fin is because dive shops push them because they have a better profit margin. If you markup is based on a percentage, the more something costs, the more you profit. For example: If your mark up is 50%, a $50 fin will generate $25 in profit while a $150 fin makes $75. The dive shop couldn't care less if they work better or not. In fact, the constant debate allows them to continue to claim that SOME divers prefer them.

Numbers sold, or percentage sold, is a weak argument in favor of, or in criticism of, any product.

Tobin

I agree with you, just look back to VHS vs Beta.

"With cause a silt out and makes a diver to rototill the bottom, where paddles prevent siltouts and prevent divers from doing any bottom gardening."

Actually I can swim right above a silty bottom without causing a siltout. Bio fins were designed to prevent siltouts. The problem is you have to use the properly. If they are pointed down, or used with big kicks you will cause a siltout.

One of my favorite quotes: They allow people who don't have proper kicking technique to move by moving their feet, but without kicking.
So you like my statement, hm?

It's true...
Honestly, how many divers do you see who have proper kicking technique -- flutter, frog, or otherwise? Most just move their feet in the hopes of forward propulsion...

Splits1.jpg

No comment...

So you like my statement, hm?

It's true...
Honestly, how many divers do you see who have proper kicking technique -- flutter, frog, or otherwise? Most just move their feet in the hopes of forward propulsion...

The Bio Fin (the origininal split) was designed to basically just use your feet, and don't work as well with a standard flutter kisk.
Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Split Fins: Overview

I think half the issues non split uses have with spit fins is that they are trying to use them improperly.

And I'm going off topic 'cos its funny...has anyone read the "article" in Scuba Diving magazine (which I dislike, it being blatant advertising from almost from one end to the other) on the Aqua Lung Slingshot fins?

And I quote "The power bands lock into a choice of three power positions, from super stiff to super flexible, enabling you to adjust your speed-to-effort ratio at will."

Why would you ever want to lower your speed to effort ratio?

Gee, I'm not working hard enough!

:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom