How do YOU use baby shampoo to defog?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Artimas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Do you:

1. dilute it 50-50, spray it on and rinse?
2. apply it full strength and immediately rinse it off?
3. apply it full strength and let it dry?
4. another way?

Do you have an opinion on how it works best?

I've used #1 above, but have been thinking about switching to #3. I thought #2 was about the same as #1.

#3, It leaves enough for multiple rinses or floods.
Best done the day before or in a pinch on the boat going to the dive site, the wind and the sun doing a quick job of drying it.

#2 - I put a drop on each lense and rub it in with my finger. Then I rinse it and go diving.

#3. It lasts all day over multiple dives without retreating.

I use it as sold from the J&J bottle on an already wet lens.

I rub it around with a finger tip. Make absolutely sure your finger is free of sunscreen, lotion or salad dressing. The oils will defeat the surfactant and you will be diving in vinaigrette.

That way the water lets the shampoo level but you aren't washing it away. It may be a little hazy going in but as soon as the lens sheets over with invisible condensation it's perfect. Works well from the tropics to under the ice.

Pete

Works pretty good in most any type of application.

I put a couple of small drops on each lens and smear it about.

If it has time to dry before the dive, fine, if not, that's fine too.

A quick dip in the rinse bucket or pour a little water from a water bottle into the lenses, swish it about a bit and I'm ready to go.

the K

When I worked in the islands we used to dilute it; 20 / 80, (approx.) the later being water. In my classes I use a similar mix and pass the squirt bottle around. Works well.

C

Just experiment a little and you'll quickly find an effective dilution and method.

I tried various dilutions to thin the shampoo enough to be able to squeeze out of a dropper bottle in cold winter conditions. That turned out to be a ratio of shampoo to water somewhere between 2:1 and 1:1, roughly.

All dilutions produced good results when a few drops were rubbed onto the dry lens and lightly rinsed with just one or two ounces of water.

I found that over-rinsing is possible and under-rinsing can leave a visible film.

Still can't understand how one of my buddies can stand looking through a fogged mask that he spit in and then rinsed too much....set in his ways, I guess.... :shakehead:

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom