masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gold4

Reaction score
I have a question I have a really small face , and I was wondering if any manufactorers make a custom mask..right now I have a kid masks it works fine but I want to get a purgable mask.. and what is the difference between low volume and high volume and single and double lens. :)

OK..where to start...you have a couple of issues here.

First of all...how to buy a mask.>>>Take your regulator with you...and if you dont have one....use one at the shop....stick it in your mouth....find a mask you like and with the reg in your mouth put it on your face with out using the strap. You should be able to breath in through your nose and creat a vacumn. And, you should be able to let go of the mask and it not fall....or air leak in. If air leaks in at this point...so it would water as well. The reason you want the reg in your mouth is your face changes shape drastically and a mask that passes this test without a reg in your mouth...might not pass with the reg in your mouth.

Now......That means you may have to go to a ocuple of shops to find a mask that does not leak. And, if you can buy from a shop that has a pool and will let you try it out...that is even better.

A low volumn mask is simply one where there is not a lot of space between the skin and the mask front. It would hold less water "volumn" than a high volumn mask would. The advantage to that is when the mask does flood....it takes much less an effort to clear it out than it does a high volumn mask. Why do they make the two???? Why is there a chevy and a ford.

A single lens is just like it sounds....one continuous piece of glass or plastic ..... where by a double lense has a seperate piece of glass or plastic for each eye seperated by a nose bridge.

It could be hard to find a mask that fits with a purge valve. I would say if you can find a low vol mask that fits your face (with reg in mouth) buy it and forget the purge valve. They are just another failure point.....but many like them....chevy///ford!!!!

If you can find an oceanic dealer...try the mini shadow....
good luck...let me know how it turns out.....rich
ps...i also love and dive the cressi sub horizon////

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom