Purge Poll?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swamp Rat

Reaction score
Was wondering how many of you have purge mask as your primary mask? I see tons of none purge mask out there and can imagine why. So I was wondering if the market deams it so. Also if you do have a non-purge mask do you wish it had a purge valve?

I have a Genisus G-One purge mask and love it. it leaks a little but I like having some water in the mask, but I have only dove in fresh water. I think the salt would get a little annoying though.

Brad

NIN,

A little salt water in the mask will constantly burn the eyes. (experience) I just picked up a TUSA hyperdry. First dive with it this weekend. I have a mustache so my mask constantly leaks. Thats why I wanted to go this route.

Tom

I have a Ocean master Equalizer Z2 purge mask. I have yet to dive with it (O/W class is in 2 weeks) But I have been doing a lot of snorkeling in the pool and I really like it - doesn't fog, purges easily. Plus - I'm still kind of wary of diving with soft contacts, so I might get the vision corrected lenses.

Swamp Rat,

Having a purge valve in my primary mask would always be a concern--minor, to be sure, but an in-the-back-of-my-mind concern nonetheless. I've tried them and don't care for them.

To sum up my experience with purge valve masks:

When the lake/river/spring bottom is stirred up, it seems some of the tiny particulate matter will end up stuck in the purge valve, and seepage results.

And, as Tom has suggested, ocean salt water in the eyes will become a significant irritant, especially if you are in the water for any length of time.

I know masks have been improved a great deal in recent years, but when mask clearing becomes second nature with experience, why have a built-in failure point. Not to mention the extra cost . . .

Warren

No purge on my mask. To be honest I have never used one that has it , so can't comment on its absence.

I don't have a purge on my mask and I can't say I miss it. My mask fits well and apart from having it kicked off a couple of times I only, very occasionally, have a slight leak. Can't see the point unless you have a moustache (I'm hoping I dont grow one).

Maggie, I hope you dont grow one also.

I do have a mustache and beard but I dont have a problem with leaks. When I'm down and the mask begins to fog a little I like to let some water in and rinse the lens then blow it out. I've tried both mask and the problem I have is my temple area when purgering a regular mask it takes two hands to get most of the water out. But there is always a little left. With the purge mask I have Scuba pro XQ I get all the water out. I've been diving this mask for over a year now and I must say in some messy stuff and have not had a problem with anything from the outside world clogging it. But thanks for the head-up I'll keep my I on it. Do you believe my earlier experience with a non-purge mask was from a improper fit?

Maggie...For your sake I, too, hope you don't grow a mustache. The aethetic value of mustaches on women leaves much to be desired, and--according to some--the pain connected with removal by electrolysis isn't much fun wither!

Swamp Rat...You might be right about the mask leakage around the temples being due to a poor fit, i.e., the mask skirt wasn't conforming to your head shape, or the mask frame was too rigid to allow the skirt to conform and seal, etc.

One other thing to consider is the snorkel, if you wore one at the time. The drag from the attached snorkel may either have been pulling the mask skirt away from your temple, or distorting the skirt's shape to the point where it lost its seal. I had this problem with several mask/snorkel combinations in the past. Now I carry the snorkel in my BC pocket and only pull it out when it's needed.

Hey Maggie, you know I saw a commercial with this product call Nads. Those women was ripping hair out left and right and not making a peep while the camera was rolling.

No snorkel on by head gear. I've been thinging of getting a new low volume mask to try and that when I notice the lack of purge valves. I might give one another try one day but I tell you the truth I love my purge on my mask.

Poor Maggie I hope she can do something about that mustache.

Back
Top Bottom