Freediving fins for scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjchandler

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience using freediving fins as scuba fins?

I haven't used my freediving fins for scuba as they are totally unsuitable for the purpose. Freediving fins are long and flexible and are designed for a slow, relaxed kicking style. Also they are mainly used for straight line propulsion and therefore do not have the manoeuvrability required during dives.

And by the way, you would be one unpopular person on a dive boat flapping those things about, too! :0)

I use mine regularly without problems. Normally I use a slow relaxed kicking style, too. I have not experienced any problems yet. Maybe we use different fins and do different kinds of diving.

Yes, I guess you have to watch your feet a little more closely on a full dive boat, though!

Ralph

Ralph - How do they compare with regular scuba fins? Do you cover more distancde,use less air or anything liked that?

Joe,

They are a paddle fin and not as different from other paddle fins as many seem to think. The blades are more flexible than most shorter scuba fins, so they aren't that hard to kick. There is a wide range in stiffness between different fins so you should try them out. Three factors affect the fins stiffness, blade stiffness, side rail stiffness, and foot pocket stiffness. If you put very flexible blades on a very stiff foot pocket, you will have a rather stiff fin (I've tried this). I use more flexible fins, I've found that stiff fins actually are slower for me.

I've compared the fins both in the pool and diving to my Avanti Quattros
( http://www.scubadiving.com/members/gearreviews.php?s=48 ) and always go back to the long blades. I find the effort to be similar, but I get more propulsion from the longer blades.

Long blades excel at a slow relaxed kicking style. I prefer a slow kick and find a rapid kick more tiring. In normal diving moving slowly over the bottom they are wonderful, nearly effortless. They are also capable of providing great short-term power and speed. Despite what Rodale's claims, I found no comparison in speed capability to split blades, see: http://www.scubadiving.com/members/gearreviews.php?s=172 . One thing split fins are great for is showing up any error in your trim. With long blades the amount of motion you need to make to correct for heavy or light feet is so small you may not notice it. With split fins you'll be kicking constantly to stay in trim, immediately noticeable and very annoying.

Obviously, long blades are not appropriate for enclosed environments, caves and wreck penetrations, but there is no problem with maneuverability in normal diving.

The one area where they may not be ideal is long sustained hard swimming. Note I said may, because I haven't tried anything else for a comparison. On my recent trip to Socorro we spent a large amount of time kicking hard, following the dive masters, searching for sharks. I had no trouble keeping up and my air consumption was good compared to most other divers, but it was hard work. Some of the new stiffer split blades may be better for that type of sustained hard kicking.

Ralph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom