Male vs. Female and Sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpyderTek

Reaction score
Hi all,

My Girl friend (5'4" Normal Build. Size 6 Mens shoe) recently had to get fins at the last minute. The dive shop she got them at didnt have ANY fins for "females"

Is this typical? Is there even a "female" fin available on the market?

Anyway she wanted to get the same fins I have (TUSA X-Pert Zoom Split fins) but even the smallest size was to big on her. After getting the smallest fin available in the store she complained later that the fins still had a little right/left wobble on her foot (even with a 3mm bootie).

The LDS states that this wobble was normal and fine. Is this true cause my fins nor my best friend's fins wobble? Any other ladies out there having trouble fitting scuba gear?

As far as I know they do not make men's and women's fins they are unisex.

As for the wobble, they are too big, take them back and tell the shop to order some smaller fins in or get your money back. You have been fed a line. This is what gives shops a bad name, sell them SOMETHING even if it's the wrong size.

Just my .02

ID

I agree..the shop was just out to make a buck. I suggest taking them back, and either getting another pair (if they got new fins in yet) or just getting your money back.

One thing you may want to try, if your girlfriend really wants the Zoom fins..try them on with thicker soled booties. The extra thickness may just be enough to make the fins fit securely. People with size 6 feet are kind of hard to fit sometimes, especially if they have a narrow foot.

Two good fins to try on small narrow feet are Mares Quattro and Scubapro TwinJets. They seem to have the most flexible foot pockets and fit smaller feet better. I think some Mares fins come in X-small also..but not sure about that one.

Good Luck.

Scubabunny (et al) are right. There should be no wobble in the fins... take 'em back!

Mares does make a wide range of fin sizes in Quattros, Plana Avantis, etc., etc., etc. So do their new sister company Dacor. Between these two I'm sure your lady will find a properly fitting fin that will do the job.

Good luck!

~SubMariner~

boys fins are blue

girls fins are pink

mens and womens fins are BLACK !!!

G_M

I think the women's equivalent of a men's size 6 is a 7.5 or 8 in US shoe sizes, or 24.5 to 25 cm. Women's feet are generally narrower, though. In any event, she should take those fins back and go shopping for a new pair, maybe at a different retailer. Take the booties along to make sure it works, too. I just bought a new pair of booties, and because of thicker soles and more rubber on the toes, I can barely get the old fins (Blades) past my toes. Fortunately, my sweetie has some Mares fins that will work...all footpockets are not created equal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom