High Volume or Low Volume???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T_Mancini

Reaction score
I am new to this and will be getting certified in about a month or so. Is there really a big difference on getting a mask with high or low volume? If the masks fits well enough, it shouldn't leak that much right. Some one told me that it would be harder to clear a mask with high volume, is this true???

Low volume masks are supposed to be easier to clear, as well as weigh less and be more streamlined. But, they often (though not always) are made with either two separate window panes, or have a plastic piece that comes down right between your eyes that divides the glass in two.

Those type masks always annoyed me and made me feel cross-eyed. I like having a large volume mask with one big wide picture-window plate of glass in front of me. These masks take a little more air to clear when flooded (a half a pint at most), but that is more of a concern if the mask is used for skin diving. If you are wearing a scuba tank, that little extra bit of air is insignificant.

Far and away fit is the most important feature of a mask.
In fact the three most important things about a mask are;
1. Fit
2. Fit
3. Fit

I dove many years with a US Divers tri-window mask and now I use a CressiSub Big Eyes. I like the lower volume masks as they
are less likely to get bumped but fit is still king.

BTW take your snorkle and test the fit with it in your mouth.
Having a regulator or snorkle in changes the shape of your face and may change your best choice of mask.

That is a good point about the snorkel. I probably would have never thought about it. I plan to buy the Ocean Master Dry Snorkel. I have heard it is pretty good and isn't too expensive.....

Thanks everyone for the info.

Tim

As far as I can tell, low volume masks are superior to high volume masks in all respects. They are easier to clear and equalize, more streamlined, less buoyant, and provide a better field of vision. As far as single lens masks are concerned, some of the lowest volume masks around are single lens frameless designs.

-Klaus

klausbh once bubbled...
As far as I can tell, low volume masks are superior to high volume masks in all respects. They are easier to clear and equalize, more streamlined, less buoyant, and provide a better field of vision. As far as single lens masks are concerned, some of the lowest volume masks around are single lens frameless designs.

-Klaus

The best field of view I've found by far is the Hydroptix MegaMax, and it's also the highest volume.

Just like the tip to check fit with a snorkle in your mouth, check the true field of view under water. Placing the glass closer to your eyes works to increase the field of view above water, but refraction underwater changes that.

Disclaimer: I don't get anything from promoting the mask, I'm just a satisfied owner.

David

There is absolutely no reason to buy a high volume mask.

They do not work. You do not see any better with them.

The masks that give you the best vision are the low vol masks with the large eye pieces.

Low volume masks are easier to protect in transit as well because they fit nicely inside your fin foot pocket.

Low volume masks give better peripheral vision and are easier to clear. Some of the newer concepts in masks are moving back to higher volume to give curved lens etc. I suggest first fit is most important and visibility is second most important. Try a low volume clear silicon mask that fits you very well and you will be on your way.

DSJ once bubbled...
The best field of view I've found by far is the Hydroptix MegaMax, and it's also the highest volume.

David,
What the heck is a "Hydroptix MegaMax"? Is that for real? I couldn't find anything on the internet about it. Please tell me more about it. Post a link or a picture if you can.

"Step back! Give me room for my MegaMax!"

ew1usnr once bubbled...

David,
What the heck is a "Hydroptix MegaMax"? Is that for real? I couldn't find anything on the internet about it. Please tell me more about it. Post a link or a picture if you can.

"Step back! Give me room for my MegaMax!"

Lol, the URL is http://www.hydrooptix.com/index2.htm

I've got one and it's not hype. The company does a good job of explaining the physics of it, and I've had nothing but great service from them.

I know all the arguments for low/high volume, but what I dive for is to see stuff, and this mask lets me see more of it. So for the small additional expense of the mask system I'm maximizing my diving dollar. Granted you can't stuff it in your fin pocket, but it comes in a nice hard shell case so you don't have to.

David

Back
Top Bottom