Atomic Liquid Blue or "regular" Split Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bertschb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need to buy some new fins to fit my DUI Rock Boots. I'm going to get either the original Atomic Split Fins or the new Atomic Liquid Blue Split Fins. I can't figure out what the difference is between them. The Atomic web site is no help and my LDS didn't help much either.

Does anybody out there have first hand experience with BOTH of these fins? If so, what are the differences? I'm a recreational diver. I dive PNW waters with a dry suit.

I read the Rodale's review but it really just said the Liquid Blue was made from a softer, lighter material. They thought the fins were about the same in performance. Does that mean Atomic is replacing the original with the Liquid Blue?

Thanks

I only used the regular version, but I'd expect that the liquid blue will be a little more easier on the legs with the flutter kick but work less well with the frog kick, manuevering, etc.

But if the stiffness didn't change that much, maybe the tradeoff won't be noticable.

Rodales tested them and found the performance identical. So just go for the best color.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

I'm a devoted Atomic wearer, I rocked a pair of Atomic regular splits for about 4 years, and then about 3 months ago bought a pair of Liquid blues. The biggest difference is the rigidity of the fins and the subsequent changes to performance. The Liquids are softer, which I prefer, because of my kick style, I prefer being able to make smaller adjustments to change speed/angle/position. The regulars are better for power, and on a surface swim, you'll definately feel that, the most common criticism I've heard, when I lend my fins to people, is that on the surface, the liquids dont feel like they're going anywhere.
Like most dive gear (DIR excluded) its a matter of what you prefer, and your style. I was a swimmer for years, and perhaps because of that, my kick style is better for the blues, but I still like the originals, and I wear them when I need them (i.e. during rescue classes, when I need to tow people.
Try them out of course, see what you like, but I swear by my blues now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom