Mask for my big old round face

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheQuickening1101

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This question may have been asked, but I'll ask it again. I am looking for a mask that fits my face well. I have a bigger, rounder face than most I guess. Bought the Cressi Evo mask after testing it out of the water at the dive shop.... In the pool and on my first check out dive I noticed the nose cup leaked very easily, and I was clearing my mask much more than my partner. At first, being a student, I thought that it was just a normal part of Scuba, but after my instructor loaned me a bigger mask with a larger seal on the nose area, It didn't leak AT ALL. Other than the mask that I was loaned (Oceanways black skirt single panel), does anyone have any suggestions on masks that fit similarly? Looking for larger skirts on bottom of mask so that nose cup wont leak freely.

I have been looking at the Sub Gear Action, Bare Sports Frameless, and Bare Quad-C.... Anyone use these masks or have any other options I should try? Being new to diving I have no preference yet to black or clear skirts. I will eventually try them both and figure out what I like down the road at some point. Now, I just want a dependable, leak free, or minimal leaking mask.

Try Sherwood's 'Oracle' and if you can find one [I don't think they make them any more] Sherwood's Titan....They're the biggest masks I know of ....The Titan is the bigger of the two.....If you find a dive shop that has a few xtra's let me know, it's my favorite mask......

Try out a Tusa Visualator nice big mask and works well for big faces.

I have one, I thought I had the fit figured with one at the LDS and ordered it online but it is not quite right and leaks, I have since switched to a Tusa Visio Pro. Nice mask though.

Both the Look2 and Technika from Aqualung fit most faces. I liked the fit of the technika most of all, but ended up buying a Look2 for the RX Lenses it offers.

The subgear action is still a smaller mask. The subgear vibe is a little larger as well as their Sub Vu mask. You might also like to try the scubapro SOLO, Spectra or frameless

I've got a fairly large face as well. Curiously enough Technisub Micromask fits me well, so it's not the size of the mask but the fit.

Not sure if you've purchased a mask yet. BUT..... if your instructors loaner fit perfect no leaks.... why not look at buying one? IMHO get one that fits good and is comfy. I bought a "cheaper" version of a mask that fit online, and it sucked big time in my cert dives. very uncomfortable on the bridge of my nose. I have a cromagnum forehead lol sticks out quite nicely. I returned and bought an oceanic frameless from local dive shop. Fits great with no pressure on the bridge of my nose. Leaked a little on last dive, but forgot to shave for 3 days while on vacation. Frameless are very comfy and very forgiving. Good luck.

I share your problem and suggest the Sherwood Oracle( it is still availabe on the internet). It is made of Crystal Silicone which is more comfortable and softer, which may lead to a better seal. What I do know is I don't need to purge near as often and my nose isn't rubbed raw after extended dives. I also dive with the Tusa Visulator but if doing more than two or three dives a day isn't as comfortable as the Sherwood. I wished that Tusa would go to the Crystal Silicone for their mask.

Back
Top Bottom