Diverite XT Fins....ouch!...suggestions OW-Cave crossover fins for replacements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aotus

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a new diver, starting to get my own basic equipment. My ultimate aim is to cave dive, so I asked by OW instructor which fins I should get that will function great in both OW and later in the caves. He recommended the Diverites, which were on his feet at that moment. You can read all the positive thing about them everywhere, he told me they're super efficient, and rigid enough for all the maneuvers I'll eventually learn. So I bought them and have been swimming in a pool with them to get used to them.

I've swam them twice, for 45min each, mostly practicing the frog kick, but also the flutter. I read that these are not for beginners, that people without strong legs get cramps in their calves. I have strong calves but figured I'd better start swimming with them now before I dive again in the summer to make sure my legs are tough enough. After swimming them, my calves were fine, but 10 min in my feet were killing me! Not from the contact, or poor fit, but half-way down my foot (where the metatarsals meet the tarsals, mid arch really) feel like by bones were being pulled apart. After my first day I figured I'd be sore and then my feet would toughen up, but I wasn't sore the next day, not muscle-sore anyway. Felt like I was walking in women's shoes or something the day before, maybe how it feels to wear wooden clogs. Day 2 was more of the same. Now I'm thinking this doesn't feel like training, it feels like abuse.

In short - The dive rite fins hurt. a lot. and not in a good way. Now I'm looking for a replacement that can serve me now in OW but can be used to learn cave-diving maneuvers too.

Thanks for any tips!

You propably need a size larger . The Diverite fin pocket is one of the largest and easiest I have used , I am using XL in L drysuit boot and they are very comfortable .

You propably need a size larger . The Diverite fin pocket is one of the largest and easiest I have used , I am using XL in L drysuit boot and they are very comfortable .

mine are a L, and fit comfortably. It's the kicking that starts to kill my feet. They're not squeezed in there or anything. I don't understand it.

---------- Post added January 24th, 2014 at 08:03 PM ----------

HOG Tech 2 Fins.

interesting, I did not expect that, haven't heard of these. thanks.

mine are a L, and fit comfortably. It's the kicking that starts to kill my feet. They're not squeezed in there or anything. I don't understand it.
How far into the fin is your foot? Can you post a picture? I'm thinking maybe your foot has a high instep that prevents the foot from fitting fully into the fin. Having the fin too far outwards applies more pressure on the foot and less on the leg when you kick.

How far into the fin is your foot? Can you post a picture? I'm thinking maybe your foot has a high instep that prevents the foot from fitting fully into the fin. Having the fin too far outwards applies more pressure on the foot and less on the leg when you kick.

I DO have a very high arch. maybe that's it! But, while I don't have a picture, it seems to fit me well...the heel of the pocket extends to about 1/2" shy of the end of my heel, and I have about 1/2-3/4" of room in front of my toes.

you think something with a larger pocket would help me? like, a larger size dive rite or a different fin altogether?

Thanks very much for the comments and suggestions.

What kind of booties are you using? Something with a thicker sole might help. When I am diving in a wetsuit or less I use Chuck Taylor Converse. When I am in my drysuit I just use regular neoprene dive booties but in a size 15 to fit over my drysuit. This way I do not have to change fins when I go from wet to dry.

You're doing something wrong. It's not the fins.
But, if you are convinced. Try the Hollis F1's

I DO have a very high arch. maybe that's it! But, while I don't have a picture, it seems to fit me well...the heel of the pocket extends to about 1/2" shy of the end of my heel, and I have about 1/2-3/4" of room in front of my toes.
Sounds like your foot is fully into the fin. I too have a very high instep and some fins feel like they are just hanging off the front of my feet. Fins that do fit a high instep well are the Hollis F-1 and any Force Fin. I comfortably use both. You need to borrow some fins to tryout.

I love my Diverite fins. They are my drysuit fins. Sounds like you are using your feet muscles too much when doing the flutter kick. e.g. pushing with the balls of your feet and pulling with the top of your toes. Try to be more "flat footed" and use the bigger muscles instead. Leverage your feet muscles only for manoeuvring. I don't have the strongest legs and given they are stiff fins I found you have to take slower, longer more deliberates moves. After I got used to them, no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom