How about the Aeris Velocity Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zagnut

Reaction score
I've seen ads for these fins, but have never really thought about them. In an article in Rodale's, comparing and rating fins, they got a good review. Rodale's said of them, "What a pleasant surprise. Outstanding course efficiency, excellent maximum sustained speed. And such a a price! [between $80 and $90]. No downside to this fin."

I'm looking to buy some new fins and have considered splits, but I'm not sure that's what I want (due to various reasons like turning ability, kicking up silt near the bottom, price, etc.). The velocity are supposed to kind of give you the best of both worlds with the reduced leg fatigue and increased velocity of a split and the stiffness and control of a paddle type fin. I'm now considering purchasing these fins.

Does anybody out there own these fins? Has anybody used these fins? If so, how do you like them? How well do they hold up over time? How do you like the design of the strap and bucke?

You know...give me the skinny on these fins!!..

Zagnut,

If you want to, let's go diving this next weekend at CSSP and I'll let you try out my TUSA Xpert ZOOM splits. This way you can determine for yourself what diving with splits are like.

(I was at CSSP yesterday for my drysuit course and water temp was 65 with air temp in the 50's. So much better being in the water than above it!)

..if the old work schedule will allow (I've been swamped lately at work). I was just tellin' Zagnette last nite that I been gettin' the ol' Scuba Jones lately somethin' fierce. Maybe on Sunday. I've got to get some Christmas shopping done (I haven't even started). If I don't have to bring any work home over the weekend, I'll shop on Saturday and we can dive on Sunday. Maybe Tom V., Corsair, or Phantom would like to join us if we go? I'll give you a call around Thursday or Friday to let you know how it's lookin' on my end of it.

As far as borrowing your splits, I would like to try them, but I have no booties. I'm putting them on my Christmas list that Kathleen's family requested from us.

I think right now I'll post my questions about booties in a new thread.

With that said...we now return you back to your regularly scheduled fin inquiry thread.. :)

Sunday would work for me as well as it's my turn to man the counter at DCAS on Saturday.

I'll contact BJ & Tom and see if they want to go.

As far as booties, if you can wear a size 11 shoe, you can use mine. My plan is to dive in a dry suit and those at CSSP have booties attached. So we can cover you there.

Also, I have a new vehicle so there is more room for us and gear...especially if Tom wants to go.

Hey Zagnut,
I have learned to be a little careful when I hear such things as "excellent maximum sustained speed" - I have to ask you - what is your purpose of using these fins? To get from point A to Bas fast as humanly possible - OR - to move around on a reef while looking at a zillion little critters that seem to be oblivious to your existence...

I have found that since a split does not have a paddle - you simply can't do precise movements using your fins and then you start using your hands instead (now compare a fin to your hand and tell me which on is going to be more effective...). Also keep in mind that splits kick up more silt since they are far more directional - if your trim is not perfect.

Other than that - I have no experience with the splits - I dive with a pair of old beat up Jet fins with spring straps - no buckles to break and they are easy to get on and off as well as the springs eliminate most leg cramps...

Good luck,
Big T

I believe the Aeris Velocity fins are a relatively new fin. They are not splits, though. They are a paddle-type fin with holes in the blade. Here is a picture:
www.scubadiving.com/gear/8paddlefins/review.shtml

There may not be a whole lot of folks who have used them yet. They sound good in print, but I'm wondering how well they perform in the water and how well they hold up, or if there are any drawbacks that can only be found by using them over time(like weak buckles or things of the like). I'm not sure how long these have been on the market...maybe I should get them and be the guinea pig!.. :)

As far as the excellent maximum sustained speed thing, I figure if they are good at that, they would reduce the amount of energy expended while swimming at slower speeds... (although, this may be flawed logic).

have been diving with the velocity fins for a few months and love them. most of our diving is in current and they perform very well. a good price for a quality fin. i was concerned about split fins and current and these are the closest to splits you will find, really helps with leg fatigue in real strong current as well.

One more question : I've read that with the split fins, divers get a lot of thrust for the kick, but they have trouble turning and maneuvering. Do you experience any of the maneuverability problems associated with split fins, or do you get the type of control that you would experience with a paddle type fin?

Zag-
Check out leisure-pro you can get them (aeris velocity)for $60 or so there....

Originally posted by Zagnut
One more question : I've read that with the split fins, divers get a lot of thrust for the kick, but they have trouble turning and maneuvering. Do you experience any of the maneuverability problems associated with split fins, or do you get the type of control that you would experience with a paddle type fin?

Zag, I've been using Apollo Bio fins for well over a year. I have no trouble at all maneuvering in them. I can do everything with them that I could with paddle fins...frog kicks, sculling, backing up, pivoting in place, etc. I really like them for photography too because I can control my positioning with just the flick of an ankle.

Maybe I'm strange but I don't have the problems other people say they have or say that split fins won't do. In fact, alot of the time my experience is just the opposite. Silting for example. I've been directly behind Beast scooting close to the bottom often enough to see his splits and split fins don't produce the backwash that paddle fins do. You're more than welcome to try mine anytime. I have apollo Bios and Atomics.

The secret to splits that alot of people don't understand is you can not use big kicks from the hip. The fins will feel and act like noodles if you do. Small kicks kept within you bodys 'slip stream' and using more ankle motion than you're used to will get you the performance out of split fins. Strong currents aren't a problem either, if you're kicking properly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom