Dive rite exp (xt) vs atomic aquatic blade fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joshrpwll

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am torn between buying dive rite xt or the new atomic blade fins. Has anyone tried both? Which do you prefer? Why? How is leg strain, power, fin kick versatility, etc.?

I have been in numerous similar situations - torn between two. The solution usually is number three or, sometimes, both 1&2.

I will try to simplify a complicated issue. Hope it helps.

1) If you are a drysuit diver with buoyant feet, or if you want to reverse in water, or if you want precision control of your position, then you will want the JetFin or any of its copies: Heavy rubber (buoyancy) and stiff (power, precision control). These are powerfull and good for reversing and good for helicopter turns.

2) If you are a freediver then you will want freediving fins.

3) In other cases, generic plastic fins are usable (split or non-split). I have used both rubber straps (like the ones in Atomic) and spring straps (like in DiveRite). A spring strap is just wonderfull. It is easy to use in the water. You just grab it, put it out and around your leg, and let go. You can do this while standing on one foot in shallow water, or while floating inverted at two metres. No eyes needed :D I am sure that there are people who are proficient with plastic clips too, but I find it difficult to hit the slot with the clip. The rubber band also breaks more easily than a spring. The spring strap on those fins seems not to be replaceable. In my JetFins it is replaceable (with some effort) and I can choose from at least three different (almost identical) spring straps.

---------- Post added June 19th, 2014 at 09:34 AM ----------

One short(?) comment on efficiency. A theoretical discussion will follow. This is NOT based on experience.

No piece of plastic will magically turn you into an athlete. You either do few powerfull kicks (stiff fins) or a million weak ones (floppy fins), and the power (force times time; amount of propulsion) is the same.

If you want good propulsion, I suggest you start surface swimming to improve technique, and that you stand and walk and bicycle more to get strong legs. After that, a stiff fin will server you well. Unless, of course, you are a freediver.

Stiff fins are easier to control while reversing or turning.

I believe that the relevant difference between the fins you are looking at, is the heel strap. The plastic fin folks may correct me.

Last edited:
Given similar size and construction I'd imagine they'd perform more similar than not. The DR are negative and the Blades neutral I believe. I own the DR and like them just fine. They actually fit me which most fins don't. The DR are cheaper and come with spring straps attached the AA, if you go that route, will cost you an additional $70 making them a $250 pair of fins. There are some reports out there of the DR splitting along the foot pocket but I'm not sure if that issue was addressed in the new moulding. Time will tell.

I would have loved to love the Atomic Blades, but the foot pocket is just ridiculous tall. Great for people in Drysuit boots I guess, but my foot was sliding either sliding all over the place in the XL, or hanging half out of the foot pocket in the large, and either way it was not really comfortable. I had even bought two pairs because I was sure I was going to like them.

They made the decision to go with the one piece with the fin top of the foot pocket but that made is not a particularly flexible foot pocket, is what I am guessing.

I used Atomic splits on and off for 3 years and those foot pockets fit great with lots of length to them. Don't like splits in general, but I kind of liked the Atomic split fins. Those and the Apollo splits were the only ones I h ave been able to stand at all.

I have used the Dive Rite in the original Apollo version (that is AFAIK who Dive Rite bought the mold from) and I liked them, but that was years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom