Foot pocket problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wKkaY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm having a problem where the top of the foot pocket pinches the top part of the foot/ankle. Other than that, it fits snugly.

I'm thinking of cutting away part of the fin to relief the pinch. Is this ok or is there a better solution?

wywzQlx.png

For comparison, this fin doesn't pinch:
TNMYqzq.png

edit: photo is taken without booties to illustrate the pinch better.

Wear boots or socks? Generally speaking open heel fins are worn with boots.
LOL yes of course. I took the photo without booties because it's easier to see the crease.

---------- Post added June 22nd, 2014 at 02:16 AM ----------

Another thing I'm thinking of trying (less destructive than cutting) is to replace the spring strap with a longer one, or jerryrig one out of bungee..

LOL yes of course. I took the photo without booties because it's easier to see the crease.

---------- Post added June 22nd, 2014 at 02:16 AM ----------

Another thing I'm thinking of trying (less destructive than cutting) is to replace the spring strap with a longer one, or jerryrig one out of bungee..

Sorry was late. Yes, I'd try a longer spring/bungee/rubber strap before cutting actual fin. Cutting would be a very risky venture indeed and could well result in two rather large door stoppers.

Unless something prevents the boot from going as far into the fin loosening the strap will just make the fin less secure on the foot, I'd think...

Hi

Sorry for digging this one up but I have the exact same problem as the OP.

I feel the foot pocket is too deep and spring strap too short, giving the same issue as can been seen by the OP's pic. This causes discomfort in the instep.

Not sure how to get around this, some options I'd thought of:

1. Pad the foot pocket to decrease the depth - Not sure what to use to do this.
2. Somehow replace the spring straps with bungee - Actually UTD have now done this in their latest version:

bf3d0e4565ad7d9705cf3922a872a05d.jpg

3. Cut the top of the foot pocket a little.

Any other ideas.

I'd first try thicker boots. I've had similar issues with fins before usually wearing thicker boots i.e heavier soles solves the issue. On one occasion changing the spring helped. If you're looking for a thicker soled boot I recommend the 4th Element Pelagic 6.5mm with heavy sole, they enabled me to wear two previous ill fitting pair of fins. Good luck.

Tried that, actually thicker boots make the compression on the top of the foot & discomfort worse. Thiner soled boots have helped but still not perfectly comfortable

Hi scuba_mc sorry i overlooked your PM. Here is a photo of the fin after cutting it.

IMG_20160229_194308.jpg

Just an update to my thread, after making this modification, my wife successfully wore it without pain throughout a 4-day liveaboard trip :)

Hi scuba_mc sorry i overlooked your PM. Here is a photo of the fin after cutting it.

View attachment 369783

Just an update to my thread, after making this modification, my wife successfully wore it without pain throughout a 4-day liveaboard trip :)

Hi WKkaY

Thanks for the pic, I'll give this a try.

Back
Top Bottom