How are Scubapro Jet Fins made in Taiwan different?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HaleyH2O

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have noticed that some people do not like Jet Fins manufactured in Taiwan. How do they differ from other Jets? Why do they seem to be considered substandard? I was thinking of buying a pair in yellow so I can be more visible, but they are apparently made in Taiwan and now I'm having second thoughts...

Your thoughts?

I've owned both versions, black. The Taiwanese version was a softer compound which I found noticeable over the U.S. version. The foot pocket was also a tad wider. The quality of finish on the Taiwanese version was better. I don't think they are in anyway inferior to the U.S. made Jets, just not the same. Diving them I could tell the difference stiffness wise but it wasn't night and day.

Whisky-dick fins.

The Taiwanese version was a softer compound which I found noticeable over the U.S. version. The foot pocket was also a tad wider. The quality of finish on the Taiwanese version was better. I don't think they are in anyway inferior to the U.S. made Jets, just not the same. Diving them I could tell the difference stiffness wise but it wasn't night and day.

I don't think this is necessary true. I have compared 2 pairs of Jets, both made in USA, both have lightning bolt logo. One pair (mine) is noticeably softer than the other. The material softer pair feels like rubber, while the stiffer pair feels like monoprene used in OMS lipstream. I kind of think Jetfins has gone through different manufacture cycles. Each cycles has slight different material and properly. It may not have anything to do with Taiwan vs USA

I don't think this is necessary true. I have compared 2 pairs of Jets, both made in USA, both have lightning bolt logo. One pair (mine) is noticeably softer than the other. The material softer pair feels like rubber, while the stiffer pair feels like monoprene used in OMS lipstream. I kind of think Jetfins has gone through different manufacture cycles. Each cycles has slight different material and properly. It may not have anything to do with Taiwan vs USA

Interesting, you may well be correct. I can only post based on my experience of my US vs my Taiwanese Jets. Having said that over here it is widely reported by numerous shops that the Taiwanese Jets are of a softer compound than the US sold Jets. Taiwanese Jets for this reason (?) don't seem to sell well here but US Jets do. Who knows. But I can say beyond doubt my US lightening bolt Jets purchased 2012 are stiffer than my (ex) Taiwanese Jets purchased also in 2012. But as you point out this may not be the general case or as simple as US vs Taiwanese. Cheers for the info.

I have the Taiwanese and my buddy the American ones. The Taiwanese are indeed a little bit softer, but both version are great.

Some things are not that thing unless they are in fact that thing and to be that thing they have to be the original thing and not some facsimile of that thing. Jet Fins are made in the USA. If they are not, then they are not regardless of what they say on them. Harley Davidson for example cannot be a Harley if they are made in China.

Corporations think they can stick a brand on something or that they can purchase a brand and then make it anywhere they can find cheap labor, and we consumers do not know the difference. Well, I do.

N

Some things are not that thing unless they are in fact that thing and to be that thing they have to be the original thing and not some facsimile of that thing.
They can be the same thing but made in one of many factories...

Jet Fins are made in the USA. If they are not, then they are not regardless of what they say on them.
So they could come from different factories in the USA? Things can be the same thing and come from factories in different countries...

Are all BMWs BMWs?
Are all iPhones iPhones?

Both are manufactured in many factories in many countries.

iPhones are 100% only manufactured in China, so as iPad, macbook, iMac. Even their components are mostly manufactured in 3rd world countries. I think the only Apple product that is made in USA is their Mac Pro, which starts from $3K.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom