Advice on OTS Guardian?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toddville393

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have never dove a FFM, but a lot of the divers at my LDS dive an OTS Guardian and so I'm considering getting one. My question is what are some things I should know or be aware of when moving to a FFM and more specifically things that apply to the OTS Guardians. As of right now I'm thinking of getting the Guardian without comms, I'll upgrade later if I see the need, and a quick disconnect, but what are some other accessories and what not that I should consider getting if I do get a Guardian. Also I have a Genesis GS2000/GR450 Reg setup and I was wanting to know if the First Stage would work with an Guardian.

"What kind of diving do you do" tends to always come up in these things so I'll go ahead an say I'm just a weekend recreational warrior. I dive mostly freshwater, but do make the occasional trip to the ocean, and where I'm located it's not to difficult to dive year round without breaking the bank.

I bought a couple of them for me and my gf. Did two tanks with it and really liked it! Our divemaster tried it out and enjoyed it as well. Even the comm system worked well. The only negatives: price and need to take the whole thing off to go to an Octo or pony. We kept a plain mask around our necks.
With limited experience (n=2), I would recommend the system.

. . ."What kind of diving do you do" tends to always come up in these things so I'll go ahead an say I'm just a weekend recreational warrior. . .

I think the better question is what type of problem are you trying to solve? FFMs make very good sense to me for commercial diving where communication with your tender can save your bacon, but I for one don't want to listen so someone blathering when I'm diving.

Well I've been having a big issue with my mask pressing up between my eyes and causing me to get a severe headache. I used to have a problem with fogging but ever since I started using baby shampoo on my mask that problem was solved. For some reason I always get water in my nose pocket. Then when it comes to my regulator if feels like its heavy and I have to actually bite on it to hold it in my mouth which then gives me lockjaw. Also I get dry mouth so bad its hard to speak after a dive sometimes.

I know a lot of these problems could be solved a lot cheaper than buying an $800 FFM, but my friend just bought a OR Neptune Space G and he loves it so it really got me thinking about a FFM.

I tried on a OR Neptune Space G and even took one out for a dive and didn't like how tight it had to fit against my face to get a good seal. That's why I'm interested in an OTS Guardian cause the guys I know that have one say that since it has a double seal you don't have to have it super tight to get a good seal plus it comes out of the box with the surface valve.

There's a dealer not to far from me. I'm going to try to dive their demo this weekend.

There are many reasons to dive with a FFM including safety. Don't listen to the noise about it being only for commercial dives. Comms can be a lifesaver, but can be added later.

It is important to always carry a spare half mask. There are cheap pockets designed for this. But you can also plumb in a bailout valve to your pony or stage tank so it isn't necessary to rip off the mask. It is a skill that needs practice, but can also be avoided most of the time.

Demo is a good idea. If only to see how equalizing is a very different skill.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

I own and sometimes dive a guardian FFM. I like the mask I like the seal on it but it is not my go to mask for a few reasons. The main reason is that a FFM is not necessary for most of my diving. It adds a layer of complexity that is not an issue but it is there. It adds a layer of extra gear because you should carry as spare mask with you. It adds a extra layer of cost becasue it needs purchased and serviced. BUT all that saying I love my mask for its intended purpose. The purpose is COLD COLD water when my face needs the extra protection, I use it in contaminated dive situations , and it makes a great platform to mount my go pro and lights for hands free work. I use comms for my PSD work and would never add comms to my play gear. The thoughts of a person chattering away in my ear when I'm in my happy place gives me the shivers

Tested learn how to use it and then think about the when and why you want to use it.
Herb

I do a lot of GoPro stuff too, kinda the reason why I started diving, and was wondering if a FFM make doing video easier, harder, or no effect at all? Also what does PSD stand for?

PSD=Public Safety Diver

The #1 thing you should have is the valve on the side that you can unscrew at the surface so you can breathe, beware that they do tend to increase your SAC rate quite a bit, so you lose a bit of dive time compared to normal regulators.

You should try to Aqualung Comfobite mouthpieces on your regs, they are quite possible the best thing Aqualung has ever invented

I like the Guardian, I prefer the Poseidon mask but that's just me, personal preference is all. The Guardian is a good mask and the first one that I had used. Shouldn't make it much more difficult especially if you have it helmet mounted. Quick disconnects are wonderful things because you can put a QD on your pony bottle to bailout in case of a first stage failure which is the most common. The GS2000 has plenty of flow to feed that thing, doesn't require much more air than a normal second stage.

Back
Top Bottom