X-vu liquiskin leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Patoux01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I seem to be having issues with my X-vu liquidskin mask. Can't find anything about a recall, but was wondering if this is a "known issue" and if there's an easy fix to it?
It used to be alright for my first 25 dives or so (or maybe I hadn't noticed earlier? Awareness comes with the time so maybe it's always been like this).
If I breathe out through my nose, the bubbles don't go out through the top of the mask, but through the space between the lenses.
As well, I seem to have water constantly in the "nose place", so while that's not too bad in warm water, in cold water I might end up with a cold nose
sad.gif
, so I suspect there is a leak somewhere there. I can't figure out where it is.

I don't really want to bring it back to a shop as it's prescription and therefore I can't easily use another one...

Here's a video showing the bubbles escaping. The mask doesn't seem in bad condition or having holes though.

Cheers

I know you don't want to, but I would bring it back to the shop. I had a defective mares product once and they replaced it straight away with no explanation or begging necessary. In my case the failure was even obviously not really a defect.

IMO prescription masks are far too expensive to mess with on your own like that. Especially since there's a good chance mares will take care of you.

Last edited:
Well not only that, but there's another problem, which is the fact that I'm currently some 16000 km away from where I bought the mask, and that I don't really like the nearest Mares dealer (which makes it an hour drive to get to another).
So if I can fix it myself, I'd prefer that solution. Especially at this time of the year, I don't think the aftersales service will be very fast.

Last edited:
Sent it to Mares, got a new one.
New one seems to be doing the same thing.
My issue lies mostly in the fact that there are bubbles coming out of the mask at strange places than in the fact that there's a bit of water coming in, even though I'd rather stay dry when the water turns cold.

Any reason you don't just wear contacts instead of bothering with the prescription mask (especially given your issues with this particular prescription mask)?

Sorry, had forgotten to look here.
After I had the same issue again, went to the shop, took it apart, built it up again, it seemed fine. Did one dive, was about right for half a dive, then I noticed bubbles.
Have to video it again and hopefully getting it changed to a X-Vu NOT liquidskin as it could be that those have a slightly different built causing it to leak when using "high power" prescription lenses, as those lenses are intended for a normal X-Vu.

Reason for not wearing contacts:
- I can't wear them for more than 2 hours without having very painful eyes afterwards. I'm not gonna put them on a rocking boat or with sandy hands, same for removal.
- They don't "stay" on my eyes, if I remove my mask, it's a guaranteed "loss", in fact I don't lose them, they simply slide up my eye, and it's quite hard to get them to go back in place underwater, so I've once had to do 40 minutes using one eye.
- I tend to easily get small eye infections, wouldn't want to increase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom