Did I ruin my mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onthevirg

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all,

I apologize if this is a stupid newbie question but I couldn't seem to find any definitive answer on the Google.

After my pool dives I made the stupid mistake of not leaving the lid completely off my mask case after cleaning. I'm getting ready to do my ocean dives next weekend and after three weeks I wanted to start going through my gear and found that my mask and strap cover were still soaked. I immediately took it outside to air dry (which I will do from now on). After it dried I noticed what seems to look like mold and hard water spots all over the glass and rubber. I'm sure I can get the glass cleaned no problem but I'm worried about the rest of the mask. Are there any recommendations on how I can go over the mask to clean it up or have I compromised the mask's integrity?

I know I could go to my instructor/local dive shop but I'd prefer to avoid being seen as a complete moron. I'd rather take the heat from somebody anonymously first :wink:. I appreciate any advice offered.

Thanks,
Virg

Virg-

Don't sweat the small stuff...I suggest a soaking in a DILUTE solution of warm water and bleach...note "DILUTE". Take it in the shower with you and an old toothbrush...should clean right up.

Good luck.

Bubs

try cleaning the silicone/rubber with vinegar, that should remove the mold without any issue. Afterwards rinse well with fresh water then dry with a clean lint free towel. It always a good idea to dry your mask after each day of diving.

Hi Bubs,

Thanks for the reply. What's the dilution ratio that you would recommend for the bleach/warm water combo? I almost went with dish soap and water on my own but didn't want to make it worse.

Virg

---------- Post added December 31st, 2014 at 06:05 PM ----------

try cleaning the silicone/rubber with vinegar, that should remove the mold without any issue. Afterwards rinse well with fresh water then dry with a clean lint free towel. It always a good idea to dry your mask after each day of diving.
Hi LowDrag,

Thanks for reply. Should that be straight vinegar or diluted with water? And yes, from now on I'm not going to put my mask back into any kind of container/case without letting it/towel dry first.

Virg

---------- Post added December 31st, 2014 at 06:07 PM ----------

And sorry, obviously I haven't figured out how to individually respond to posts yet. You'd think a programmer could do better than this :dork2:.

All good advice so far.
I am just very weak on bleach.
I would do a 50/50 vinegar/water solution overnight and see what happens.
and...
NO!
Your mask IS NOT ruined.

Chug
Is still inventing mistakes that are not so easy to recover from.

Last edited:
what mask is it? If it has a frame you probably want to pop the lenses to get the solution in all of the cracks and crevices behind there. Once the lenses are out you'll be fine.

Thanks Chug,

I think I'll try that first. And thanks for getting back to me. I like this place already, seems to be good people.

Virg

---------- Post added December 31st, 2014 at 06:42 PM ----------

what mask is it? If it has a frame you probably want to pop the lenses to get the solution in all of the cracks and crevices behind there. Once the lenses are out you'll be fine.
Tbone, I know it's a ScubaPro but not sure of the exact model. It came with a package deal when I started my certification so I'm sure it's not high-end. And I can guarantee if I tried to pop out the lens it would *for sure* be ruined. I see nothing good coming out of that.

if it has two lenses and is a frame, they're designed to pop out so you can put Rx lenses in there, usually the frame pops out with a flathead screwdriver and they pop back in pretty easily.

If you are concerned about popping the lenses out, take it to your dive shop. They should be happy to help you with it.

Run it through the dishwasher. Seriously.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom