old fins turned into split fins worked like a charm!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Had a couple of mares avanti fins I found on the beach. I decided to try them out. The good news is that they fit great the bad news is they had to much resistance and gave me some strain compared to my tusa split fins. I decide to perform some surgery on these fins and create my back up split fins.

They actually worked remarkably well! I felt it cut through the water like my tusa fins and suffered no strains on my hip or upper leg area. I didn't have any thing to lose and the gamble really paid off. The operation was very easy , the fins already had a 1/4 inch rubber channel down the center. I just took a razor blade and snipped of that 1/4 channel right off. It sounds too easy but it worked for me.

Does any body else like their split fins, if you have some other old type of fins you don't like you might want to consider this option. If there is any body out there that thinks this is a bad idea don't be shy.

I just did this last week so far I have only gone out once, I thought I would go back to my tusa and see the difference.

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

Sounds like a successful DYI.

Bob

I love my split fins... I thought it was all gimmick untill I had to do a LONG swim in my old fins... My shins and knees were on fire... Not to mention I was first out of air.... Barowed my buddies scuba pro split fins on dive two ... It was like walking on clouds... No pain... And my air lasted longer because i was not the fastest diver... Not sure if i would want them in big current though.

Awsome diy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom