Strong fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tamas970

Contributor
Reaction score
Switzerland - way too far from warm seas:(
# of dives
100 - 199
Right now I kick some venerable jetfins, quite small ones which make me suffer in currents.

I am preparing for a longer diving campaign in the Red Sea and seeking fins, that behave nicely in currents - the stronger the better.
Also very important, that the fins have to be robust, I can't replace them on a liveaboard if they break (sorry, no seawing nowa's...)
Of course maneuverability is another point. For the time being I excluded split fins, because I like the broad flutter kick.
I came across this test: Testing Fins: Undercurrent 01/2000

Accordingly the Quattro ABS is the champ in town. Does anyone know how the other Quattro plus compares?

Another nice piece I came across with is the Hollis F2 - a bit more expensive than the Quattro, but looks a bit more robust.

Right now I kick some venerable jetfins, quite small ones which make me suffer in currents.

I am preparing for a longer diving campaign in the Red Sea and seeking fins, that behave nicely in currents - the stronger the better.
Also very important, that the fins have to be robust, I can't replace them on a liveaboard if they break (sorry, no seawing nowa's...)
Of course maneuverability is another point. For the time being I excluded split fins, because I like the broad flutter kick.
I came across this test: Testing Fins: Undercurrent 01/2000

Accordingly the Quattro ABS is the champ in town. Does anyone know how the other Quattro plus compares?

Another nice piece I came across with is the Hollis F2 - a bit more expensive than the Quattro, but looks a bit more robust.

Have you considered fiberglass bladed, full foot freedive fins for scuba? Many spearfisherman who use scuba want powerful and efficient fins, so it is VERY common to see them using long bladed freedive fins.

Freedivers need very good performance from their fins, they can not waste energy, time or oxygen on a fin that does not perform optimally.

A quality freedive fin has a full foot pocket with a solid, rigid sole that extends to the heel area. The full foot pocket provides the best energy transfer. Freedive fins come in a pretty wide variety of materials, stiffnesses and of course cost.

Fiberglass blades probably are the most robust blades available. They have excellent "snap" which means that when deflected the rebound delivering energy back to the kick. Fiberglass is also extremely tough material and will withstand years of hard use, suffering most cosmetic scratches. You can choose soft, medium or hard blades.

Competition Fiberglass Fins Black | MAKO Spearguns

MCFFGF-BLK-2.jpg

freedive fins work but aren't particularly maneuverable because they're so large. Frankly, the Dive Rite XT fins are probably your best bet for flutter kicking but you're going to need some serious leg muscle to get them to move through the water, but they'll do it better than most out there

I’m a little confused. By “strong” do you mean resistance to failure or breakage or providing more thrust and you have the leg strength to drive them? Generally I have found the all rubber Jet-Fin style fins to take much more abuse in use and on deck than the plastic-bladed fin.

I haven't tried freedive fins yet, the reason I forgot to mention: about 50% I dive dry:)

tbone: the XT seems pretty basic to me, no vents, so probably even more juice is needed than for my Jets. I am itching for those F2-s, I'll do some more research
how they behave:). One negative maybe, that the strap mounting part is new to me, I think I can't just add rubber straps in case the spring gives up (probably never happening anyway...)

I’m a little confused. By “strong” do you mean resistance to failure or breakage or providing more thrust and you have the leg strength to drive them? Generally I have found the all rubber Jet-Fin style fins to take much more abuse in use and on deck than the plastic-bladed fin.
Good point, actually both: resistance to abuse & high propulsion.

If you can borrow Force Fins sometime, it might be worth a checkout. They're both strong and robust. The only issue I have with them is that I still haven't mastered a back kick in them. However, they're great for flutter (broad or not), helicopter, modified frog, etc. And they're easy on the tendons.

I have F2s and like them a lot they are very good at flutter kicking. I use them for warm water and my jets for cold and dry suit diving. I would recommend them

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

OMS slipstreams have the most oomph of any jet fin style fin I've dove, that said, you want a strong fin for diving in currents, but want it to be easy to move. Can't have both chief, you either have the leg power to move the big stiff fins through the water or you don't. The XT's will get you through most any current you're going to encounter if you have the leg strength, but nothing is going to get you through easily. You're trying to get 50mpg pulling a semi trailer with a Prius, just isn't going to happen

Maybe that pulls me back from the Hollis. I'll need thrust, some sites I'll dive usually have strong currents - in case I have to fight it, I am lost on the (smaller) jetfins.
In the store I am looking now, the Mares Quattro+ and Mares Excel + seems interesting.

I don't find the thrust on F1s much different than the Jets, but they are quite heavy so not the best choice for air travel. F1s do have a relatively large foot pocket so are well suited for local drysuit diving.

:rofl3: - True. Thats a different kind of animal: scooter:)
You're trying to get 50mpg pulling a semi trailer with a Prius, just isn't going to happen

Back
Top Bottom