Mares Power Plana - Hollis F1 - Scuba Pro Jet - Aqualung Rocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remy B.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking in to buy better fins and heavier as well, any you had the chance to compare any of these fins by any chance, all have great reviews, but were I live there is an official Mares Dealer and I can get the Power Plana fins, between these 4 fin brands, the Power Plana is the different design, there is as well a Scuba Pro dealer, they are the only two Scuba stores in the Island basically.

Scuba Store & More is the Dealer from Mares but they sell as well Aqualung.

Atlantis is the dealer for Scuba Pro

Hollis F1 I just will need to order from the US.

I just one to make one good and life time investment, don't want to fall in buying a 3rd set of fins, my money tree is not blooming if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your inputs, greatly appriciated

If you want a heavy, solid fin then the SP jets are the ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first pair of fins I purchased were Scuba Pro jets. I love them.

I needed a pair of fins with bigger foot pockets, and own the Dive Rite fins, and also bought a pair of Mares Power Plana.

The Power Plana fins are equal to the jets in back kicking, helicopter turns, and frog kicks.
They are better "feeling" to me when flutter kicking.

I like that the Power Plana fins use their rubber heel straps....it's similar to some spear gun rubber bands are attached.

I would recommend the Mares over the Jets. They are that good.

A buddy of mine has F-1s. I've tried them, but didn't like the "feel" compared to the Jets and Power Planas.
It's hard to quantify that; sorry.
It was just a feel thing for me.

Two other buddies of mine have the Rocket 2 fins.

I only tried them in the pool.....briefly.

They felt soft compared to the Jets and Power Planas......no "bite"

It's hard to compare.
Because my buddy that has the F-1s hated the Jet Fin foot pockets.

The two guys that dive the rocket 2s think the Power Planas look kind of goofy and make fun of them when I'm gearing up.
But that's just normal sh1t talking around here.

My favorites.
Power Planas and Jets.
I am liking my Power Planas more and more.

I hope this is helpful.
I agree....buying multiple fins over time sucks.
There's no perfect pair I guess.

Cheers,
Mitch

In a Drysuit I loved the F1s but they were just too big and my feet flopped around in the pockets, I trimmed out nice with them and the blade surface is quite large compared to L jets. L jets fit me but I'm not fond of them the blade is quite small and I have to work harder to move. I tried the Power Planas same issue as with the F1s, the foot pocket was too big, shame I cetainly liked the look of them. I now use Diverite XT fins in medium, they fit well but are very stiff. I just recently bought some Turbo Planas in large I have them in M and they are my favourite wetsuit fin. Unfortunately after changing manufacturing to Taiwan they changed the compound and the Ls are nowhere near as stiff as the Malaysian Ms. I'm now looking for some growth hormone as it seems it'll be easier to grow my feet than find some good rubber fins that I can use drysuit diving.

---------- Post added February 14th, 2015 at 04:43 AM ----------

The first pair of fins I purchased were Scuba Pro jets. I love them.

I needed a pair of fins with bigger foot pockets, and own the Dive Rite fins, and also bought a pair of Mares Power Plana.

The Power Plana fins are equal to the jets in back kicking, helicopter turns, and frog kicks.
They are better "feeling" to me when flutter kicking.

I like that the Power Plana fins use their rubber heel straps....it's similar to some spear gun rubber bands are attached.

I would recommend the Mares over the Jets. They are that good.

A buddy of mine has F-1s. I've tried them, but didn't like the "feel" compared to the Jets and Power Planas.
It's hard to quantify that; sorry.
It was just a feel thing for me.

Two other buddies of mine have the Rocket 2 fins.

I only tried them in the pool.....briefly.

They felt soft compared to the Jets and Power Planas......no "bite"

It's hard to compare.
Because my buddy that has the F-1s hated the Jet Fin foot pockets.

The two guys that dive the rocket 2s think the Power Planas look kind of goofy and make fun of them when I'm gearing up.
But that's just normal sh1t talking around here.

My favorites.
Power Planas and Jets.
I am liking my Power Planas more and more.

I hope this is helpful.
I agree....buying multiple fins over time sucks.
There's no perfect pair I guess.

Cheers,
Mitch

That it does...

I think those Turbo Planas look cool.
If I ever see a pair in a shop in Japan...I'd probably be tempted.

Even though I have no need for any new fins.

I think those Turbo Planas look cool.
If I ever see a pair in a shop in Japan...I'd probably be tempted.

Even though I have no need for any new fins.

The Malayasian ones rock, the Taiwanese are ok but significantly softer, shame as I thought I'd finally found some good fitting drysuit fins. But agree they do look pretty cool. ¥12,000 at mic21 free shipping.

I have dived Jets, Rockets and the Power Planas. My husband and I fought over the Power Planas until we bought a second pair :)

They seem not to be QUITE as negative as the jets, but the foot pocket is a little bit smaller. The fin is softer but doesn't feel soft when you kick it, and I can make more speed and more progress against current with them than I can the Jets. The Rockets are definitely the softest of the three.

I've used jets for a long time, but am always looking for something with a more comfortable foot pocket for me. I tried the F1s for awhile, but they did not have the propulsion of the jets. I just received a pair of the power planas, I'll get them in the water next week. They are definitely stiffer than the F1s, they look like they'll be a good solid rubber fin. They are exactly the same weight as XL jets.

The Malayasian ones rock, the Taiwanese are ok but significantly softer, shame as I thought I'd finally found some good fitting drysuit fins. But agree they do look pretty cool. ¥12,000 at mic21 free shipping.

Hi all, I'll jump in here. I currently use borrowed SP Jet Fin Revos for diving with twins in tropical SE Asia (wet). The Revos are a bit small for me. I have narrow size 9 feet and use 3mm booties. These fins are expensive and only available in Japan.

Would the Mares Turbo Planas have enough punch and propulsion with currents using twins. Or enough punch with different finning techniques? These fins seem to be a bit lighter and less negaitve than SP Jet fins, an advantage for me. Is this correct?

Buddhasummer - How can I find out about the country of origin. No one in Singapore has any idea if the fins are made in Malaysia or Taiwan? Are there differences in stiffness with color? As a guide and scientist, it would be great to use a fin that is not black.

TS&M - for clarity, are you referring to Turbo Plana or Power Plana fins? Both are available in Signapore. I wonder how they compare?

Lastly, are the bungee straps durable and easy to use, at least compared to spring straps?

Thanks, Charlie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom