Mask fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opie712

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need some help I got a new mask for christmas hollis m1. I've tried everything but still fogs, used lighter on the lense , cleaned with mask scrubber and tooth paste, spit, baby shampoo, 500psi sea drops, and a few other defogers. Seems to be worse if it super cold out 35 and below, anyone think of something else.btw not breathing out of my nose never had this much problem before

Sounds like you tried everything.. I did this once and it seemed to work. Pour coke in the mask and let it soak overnight. The acid is supposed to clean the mask, I also scrub the skirt with soap and toothpaste

The lighter worked the best I could blow out my nose as much as I could never fogged soon as I run it unser water to get the black smoke tint off back to fogging

I'm a chronic nose exhaler(just can't stop doing it), so I keep just a little bit of water in the bottom of my mask so i can just tilt my head and let it wash the fog off.

I have known about the lighter and toothpaste, but have never heard of using Coke. Makes sense though, I use it to clean the battery terminals on my truck.

Use either the powder form of Ajax or Comet. Put some on your mask, and a few drops of water to form a paste, and scrub with your finger till you think it's going to fall off. I have used this method on my masks and several others who had tried everything with no luck. Hasn't failed me yet. Once you do this, just a regular mask cleaner will then work.

soft scrub is the only thing i have found to work it does great a dab and scrub with the finger tip rinse repeat then spit for defog

Herb

I had a similar problem with my mask. I had to do the lighter trick about ten times to finally burn all the film off.
Do it once, clean, and run water over lenses to cool. Keep doing this over and over and you'll notice the black film gets less and less every time. Test by putting up to your face and exhaling through nose.

Usually after a few months of diving I have to do once or twice. Somehow the film returns?

I have never had any luck with Soft Scrub, Toothpaste, etc...

Usually after a few months of diving I have to do once or twice. Somehow the film returns?

From what I heard, the film that develops on the glass is a side effect of a manufacturing process. The "rubber" or silicone that a mask's skirt is made off releases some gas like oils that evaporate for months after the manufacturing. When liquid silicone turns solid, evidently, some parts of it continue to "dry out" and release certain chemicals. Thus, when you keep the mask in a tight container, these plastic air-born "oils" stain the glass. Therefore, if your mask has gotten to you very quickly after the manufacturing, it is possible for it to continue to release these "oils" for a while and may need additional cleaning.

Be careful with toothpaste and other scrubbing agents, it is quite possible to micro scratch the glass, specifically, if you have an expensive high transparency lens.

I use Bon Ami powder cleanser on my masks before every trip just to make sure that the glass is clean. Bon Ami will not scratch glass. I always used to use spit before every dive, but have become seduced by the diluted soaps that are on most dive boats these days. I haven't had a problem in a very long time. PS: I am almost exclusively a warm water diver.

You have not tried everything unless you have burned it with a lighter. This is by far the most effective means of cleaning a new mask.

Burn the interior by swirling a Bic type lighter on the inside glass starting in the center and working out to the perimeter until it forms soot. Then, after it cools, wash it in very hot water with Dawn dish soap.

I wash my masks occasionally with Dawn and hot water but rarely have to repeat burning them.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom