Force Fins vs Jetfins - tek diving and all the kicks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cnherrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Please chime in on the plus/minus. I have a pair of Force Fins. I'm considering Jetfins. I think both are Scubapro. In the catalog of kicks, is one better?

Force Fins are made by Force Fin, not ScubaPro.

A big plus of Force Fins is the foot pocket that takes the stress off the extensor? tendons in the ankle, allowing me a more powerful kick. The minus is that I have not yet mastered a back kick in them, although some others report they can do it fine, so the limitation appears to be my technique, not the fins.

Although kicking methods are a bit different, both fins can produce excellent flutter, frog, helicopter, etc.

I have seen various claims that the kicks can be done in Force Fins, but I've never seen a pair in a cave, and several cave training agencies prohibit them.

I have seen various claims that the kicks can be done in Force Fins, but I've never seen a pair in a cave, and several cave training agencies prohibit them.

Ditto for any video evidence of halfway decent frog kick with them, let alone helicopter turn or back kick. The Youtube channel of the company does have some videos of very shoddy 'frog' kick with the fin in non-silting environment, but that's about it. I'd be happy if somebody proved me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath. The product and the way it's marketed has a certain infomercial-y quality to it that just doesn't feel very trustworthy.

//LN

Which Force Fin models are you referring to??? Doing alternate kicks with standard Force Fins can be a challenge. However, Extra Force Fins, Excellerating Force Fins and the "Hockey" Fins will outperform Jets. These three fins will do any and all alternative kicks easier and more efficiently. Yes, they are more expensive than Jets - but Jets are like nailing a board to your sneakers compared the the way Force Fins feel.

Force Fins have been in existence since 1966 - not exactly "fly-by-night" operation. They are a specialty fins - hand poured, hand finished - made with high grade urethanes (various compounds for different fins/uses) - they are not stamped out of cheap plastic with a high volume injection molding machine. It is not unusual to find 30 year old Force Fins still in use.

If they were not top quality do you thin that all the Cousteau's, John Chatterton, Dr. Sylvia Earle, etc would be using them - and nobody has ever been paid to endorse them.

Try them - get the right style for your style of diving - you might find that high quality fins improve your diving experience.

...Jets are like nailing a board to your sneakers compared the the way Force Fins feel....

Thanks all, excellent points. I have [original] Force Fins and I like them but I'm a Rec diver tending to Tech-wannabe. The GUE folks seem to diss the Force Fins and extol the Jetfins.

Again, thanks. You are all so very helpful.

I've used Force Fin Pro and have sporadically tried other fins. The strength of the FF is comfort, ease of donning, and small size.

The issue with the fin is it has one working surface, the side of the dorsum of the foot. The plantar side is meant for the return kick not to push water. To do a frog kick I kick from middle out (as opposed to the standard frog kick from out into the middle). Another kick that works fine with the FF is the dolphin kick. The fastest kick is a quick flutter kick.

If I could find an older version of the Excellerating Fin I would like to try it.

The GUE folks seem to diss the Force Fins and extol the Jetfins.

Jet fins are good if you are diving dry as the weight compensates some for feet floatiness. I dive wet and have a pair and dislike them. They are too heavy for my liking. I wish I still had my pair of Oceanic Ocean pros.

I think there are better fins than Jets out there now. Such as the Hollis F-1, Dive Rite XT, Mares Power Plana for heavier fins. If you want a lighter fin then the Mare Avanti Quattro.

---------- Post added March 16th, 2015 at 09:31 AM ----------

I have never heard of this, Force Fins are not split fins so I see no reason why an agency would ban them.

People who hate on force fins usually haven't even tried them on and are hesitant because they're expensive. I bought my force fin pros right after I got certified and have been using them for 6 years. They're extremely comfortable and feel like they're a part of my body. I don't even feel like I'm wearing fins. I'm a photographer who has no aspirations to be tech, however, I did teach myself how to frog kick and back fin for composition's sake. I don't think the specialty kicks are harder to learn in force fins. The only thing I dislike about my force fins is they suck against currents. If you're doing slow, precise kicks, though, they're great. Here's a youtube video of someone frogkicking with force fins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQvpQHvui28

Also, I tried on scubapro jet fins with my new drysuit a couple of weeks ago. Hated them. Going from force fins to jet fins is like night and day, and you will immediately notice the weight on the jets. I don't think I can deal with the foot pocket design of standard fins.

I don't think the specialty kicks are harder to learn in force fins. The only thing I dislike about my force fins is they suck against currents. If you're doing slow, precise kicks, though, they're great. Here's a youtube video of someone frogkicking with force fins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQvpQHvui28

This is a bad example of fog kick. Don't do this!!

I have used Jet for a long while and have tried Extra FF for quite sometime. Extra FF's advantage IMO is comfort, a fast flutter kick type of fins. They are efficient in low current. They are easily to sustain a constant swimming speed. Jet on the other hand, can give you a much more powerful short burst. In terms of precise position in water, Extra FF is too soft and too small. Jets give you instant response with tightly amount of ankle movement. Making small and precise adjustment is easy. Back kick with FF is doable, but not as efficient and Jets.

If you swim a lot, I think FF is a good choice. If you tent not swim too much, and spent a lot of time maneuvering and positioning yourself (say for photography), I think stiffer fins like Jet/OMS are better choice

Back
Top Bottom