SeaVision mask: Model and colors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I searched and found a bunch of SeaVision mask threads, but all seem to be 5 years or more old.

Short version:

I am going to buy 2 or 3 SeaVision masks. All with the Gauge Reader lenses. One will definitely be a Magenta lens. Should I also get a Clear and a Yellow? Or just a Clear OR a Yellow?

And the SV Classic (2000) and Ultra (2200) use straps that are standard 20mm. The 2100 strap is 15mm. I have tried the Classic and the 2100 and they both fit without leaking, but the 2100 seemed to have more viewing angle. I have not tried the Ultra. I'm inclined to get the 2100 for the extra viewing angle. But, should I get one of the others because of the strap width?

Long version:

I bought a new Atomic Frameless 2 mask last Fall. I tried on a dozen masks at my LDS and the Atomic seemed to seal against my face the best and be the most comfortable and the best viewing angle. Since then, I did all my OW training and 20 dives and the Atomic always leaks. I have been chalking it up to my facial hair. I lost about 12 pounds in the last 6 weeks and it seems to leak even worse now.

This last week, I dove with a friend that has an older SeaVision Classic and a brand new SeaVision 2100. I did one dive each with each of those and neither one leaked. After I dove with each one, I did a surface interval and then a second dive, using my Atomic. It still leaked every time, proving that the Atomic leaks in identical facial hair conditions. Thus my new determination to buy a SV mask. I'm tired of clearing my mask every 5 minutes (or less).

Both SV masks I tried were the magenta lens. The dives were morning dives off Oahu. I definitely liked the color correction and I plan to do a lot of my future diving in similar water (i.e. warm and blue). So, I'm definitely getting a magenta lens.

I will also be doing training dives in my local quarry (here in northern VA), dives to wrecks off North Carolina, occasional cavern dives (e.g. the cenotes I went into back in December) and the occasional night dive. From everything I can find to read, it sounds like the yellow lens would be good for those dives (at least, the ones where I don't use the magenta lens). So, I think I should get a yellow lens and, with a yellow and a magenta, I'm not sure if I should bother with a clear. The biggest thing that gives me pause to think maybe I should have all 3 is wondering if I get into advanced wreck diving with full penetration will I end up wanting a clear lens?

Moneywise, I feel like I can get all 3 for practically free. I confirmed with my HR department that I can pay for them using my Health Savings Account, since they are all corrective lenses. My company contributes an annual amount to my HSA that is equal to my annual health insurance deductible. And I didn't use any of it last year, so I could buy 10 SV masks and still not be in danger of having to pay anything out of pocket for medical expenses because this year's money from my company will cover all of any charges that happen to come up. OTOH, I don't like to just throw money away, even if it feels almost like it's free. So, the bottom line is, if there is any good reason at all to have all 3 colors, I'll buy them. Otherwise, should I just get magenta and yellow and not bother with a clear one?

TIA!

I'm basing my experience with Go Pro filters, so bear with me with a spoonful of salt.

Colored lenses like Magenta add Red back into your spectrum so you see "True color" at depth"
Yellow does the same but they work differently.

Magenta works best for Green water
Yellow for Low Light Dives AKA Dusk Dives. That is the intended use for Go Pro and sunglasses/goggles.

Problem with colored lenses is they can reduce overall light reaching the eyes. So say a dark red filter will take away a lot of light, so therefore is only useful in <40ft bright conditions. Not sure how dark the SeaVision is.
With Yellow, it works with ambient light, not spot lights from a flashlight.
If you're using a flashlight the Yellow won't provide it's intended benefit except for the twilight zone of light around your light's hot spot.
For comparison, firearm shooting glasses use clear for night coupled with a flashlight and yellow for daytime low light (ie. there's ambient light).
(Your eyes gain blur and lose color with lateral distance in daylight hours)

Additionally if you're using a Dive Light, you're no longer going to see True Color. It will be saturated by Magenta or Yellow in your light's spot.
If water is murky and low light, you will still not see True Color.
Color filters are optimized to a very small spectrum of available light (water clarity/murk) and visible light colors (depth).
IMO it really takes away the beauty.

So with that I recommend getting only clear lens with a black skirt. Because clear skirts let in glare during bright conditions and you can't see into little nooks and crannies without poking your head in. And being face to face with an eel is no fun.

Thanks for responding, but I am an impatient and OCD person, so I gave my OP about 24 hours and then ordered 3 masks, one in each color.

Also, a minor correction to what you said: Magenta is best for blue water, not green. I do know that much. I used a Magenta filter on my GoPro in Hawaii (blue wster) and I dove with my buddy's magenta lens mask twice while I was there, also.

Thanks for responding, but I am an impatient and OCD person, so I gave my OP about 24 hours and then ordered 3 masks, one in each color.

Also, a minor correction to what you said: Magenta is best for blue water, not green. I do know that much. I used a Magenta filter on my GoPro in Hawaii (blue wster) and I dove with my buddy's magenta lens mask twice while I was there, also.

Well they market it for green temperate waters and it isn't all that in my experience. :D
Good to know.

Would you mind posting a little review after you get enough water time on the 3?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom