NMD: SeaVision 2100s with reader lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
New Mask Day! Times 3!

I received 3 new masks yesterday. All SeaVision 2100, with reader lenses. Black on black frames, with one of each color lens - Clear, Magenta, and Yellow. $174 each, but no out of pocket as I paid for them using my HSA (Health Savings Account) debit card. My HSA had all of last year's money left in it, so no reason not to use it. Having reader lenses in them means they count as corrective lenses, so my HR department confirmed I was allowed to use my HSA for the purchase.

I tried this exact mask (the magenta lens) in Hawaii a couple of weeks ago. My buddy there had just gotten a new one, so he let me try his. My Atomic mask has always leaked, and I always chalked it up to my mustache. But, on back to back dives, the SV mask did not leak and my Atomic did. That was my main reason for wanting one. It is just a bonus that I really liked the color correction provided by the magenta lens in the blue water off Oahu. At first it was actually kind of weird being 50 - 100 feet down and having things look "normal" colored, instead of everything being blue. Once I got used to it, though, I really liked it!

I'm 48 and usually wear reading glasses for stuff. Without readers in my mask, I can read the big numbers in my Oceanic Atom 3.0 PDC okay, but I can't read the small print that is used for labeling all the info that is displayed. That's not really a problem, since I know what each of the big numbers is. But, the reader lenses make it where I can read everything perfectly well and that is just, well, nice!

I spent $15 at Walmart on some HydroTac reader lenses and installed them in my Atomic (Frameless 2) mask. They work just fine. I put them on a week or two before my trip, so they had plenty of time to dry. They stuck in my mask for 10 dives with no sign of budging. I.e. no visible air bubbles starting to form under them yet. I installed mine oriented like normal reader lenses in a pair of bifocals. But, after looking at the orientation of the readers in the SV masks, if I ever have to install the HydoTacs again, I will try them turned around so the flat side goes right up against the frame around the nose. I'd say the HydroTacs are an excellent option if you already have a mask you like. But, in my case, I wanted something that didn't leak anyway. And it was no out of pocket, thanks to my HSA, so I splurged!

Masks - SeaVisionUSA

2015-03-31%2009.45.38.jpg

Here you can see the shape of the reader lens. Just what it needs to be to let me read my computer, etc.. Not taking up the whole bottom 1/3 of the lens and hosing my lower peripheral vision when I'm looking "far", instead of "near".

2015-03-31%2009.48.15.jpg

But----did/do you have a prescription(??Rx) for them.........To me, that would be like buying OTC(over the counter) glazed goods(reading glasses) from your favorite drug store --& paying for them thru that account-------etc etc etc......

EDIT:....read the end of your post, my question is 'did you get your near PD correct??'........lol

---------- Post added March 31st, 2015 at 08:24 AM ----------

Interesting. I did not realized a corrected dive mask was HSA eligible.

definitely not Rx'ed......

But----did/do you have a prescription(??Rx) for them.........To me, that would be like buying OTC(over the counter) glazed goods(reading glasses) from your favorite drug store --& paying for them thru that account-------etc etc etc......

EDIT:....read the end of your post, my question is 'did you get your near PD correct??'........lol

---------- Post added March 31st, 2015 at 08:24 AM ----------

definitely not Rx'ed......

I don't know what "near PD" means.

And I don't understand at all what your last sentence is intended to convey.

Anyway... no, I have not gotten a prescription for reading glasses. I buy OTC Walmart readers as needed. I pay for those with the HSA, too. Are you saying that that is not allowed under the HSA rules?

My HR person certainly could have given me incorrect information. But, I am also not too worried about getting in trouble for it - particularly since I know that, in the very unlikely event it's not allowed AND the IRS or someone looks at my account and calls me out on it, my HR person would not lie and would confirm to any "official" that she did tell me it was an approved use of my HSA funds.

I don't know what "near PD" means.

And I don't understand at all what your last sentence is intended to convey.

Anyway... no, I have not gotten a prescription for reading glasses. I buy OTC Walmart readers as needed. I pay for those with the HSA, too. Are you saying that that is not allowed under the HSA rules?

My HR person certainly could have given me incorrect information. But, I am also not too worried about getting in trouble for it - particularly since I know that, in the very unlikely event it's not allowed AND the IRS or someone looks at my account and calls me out on it, my HR person would not lie and would confirm to any "official" that she did tell me it was an approved use of my HSA funds.

In post #4, you answered all my questions/thoughts..........

Near PD stands for near pupillary distance(the distance between the center of the eyes while reading @ near point...)....Sounds like you're all good to go......

Near PD stands for near pupillary distance(the distance between the center of the eyes while reading @ near point...)....Sounds like you're all good to go......

Ah! Well, I think it got it right. :) What I did was put my mask on and hold my wrist like I was looking at my PDC and focus on my wrist. Then I took my finger on the other hand and moved it right in front of my mask until it blocked my view of the spot I was trying to focus on. Then I pressed my finger against my mask in that spot to make a fingerprint, thus marking where the reader lens should go. :)

Ah! Well, I think it got it right. :) What I did was put my mask on and hold my wrist like I was looking at my PDC and focus on my wrist. Then I took my finger on the other hand and moved it right in front of my mask until it blocked my view of the spot I was trying to focus on. Then I pressed my finger against my mask in that spot to make a fingerprint, thus marking where the reader lens should go. :)

Sounds OK-------If any questions in future, call your eye doctor & ask him/her what's your PD-----------for ?most adult males the distant PD will be close to 63 to 66 mm & the near will be 3 mm less than the distant PD--ie your eyes converge(get closer together) to 'look @' something @ near(by 3 mms)

EDIT:.so the near PD will be anywhere from 60 to 63 mm--on an ?average adult American male.....

Sounds OK-------If any questions in future, call your eye doctor & ask him/her what's your PD-----------for ?most adult males the distant PD will be close to 63 to 66 mm & the near will be 3 mm less than the distant PD--ie your eyes converge(get closer together) to 'look @' something @ near(by 3 mms)

EDIT:.so the near PD will be anywhere from 60 to 63 mm--on an ?average adult American male.....

I'm a manufacturing optician (I actually make the lenses that go into spectacles), and adult far PD's can run from as low as 58 mm to as high as 74 mm, depending on the size of the head. Average is roughly 64 mm, but you shouldn't use average as yours, you should have it professionally measured. Additionally, a significant percentage of people have monocular PD's (individual measurement from the center of the nose) that can vary by as much as 3-4 mm per eye.

Near PD's are "typically" 3-4 mm narrower, but again, have it professionally measured.

Low power prescriptions (+1.00 to -1.00) won't cause too much problem from optical center misplacement from the actual PD, however if there is any astigmatism or the total power is in excess of +1.00/-1.00, you will notice effects, increasing as the power/displacement error increases. Typically, you will feel a "pulling" sensation on your eyes, double vision, headaches, etc. from misalignment.

If you are going to place stick-on readers on your mask, put your mask on in its normal wearing position, and ask someone to use a Sharpie marker to mark your pupil centers for each eye. Then look down as if you are looking at your gauges or computer, and have them make a 2nd mark for your reading position. Put some scotch tape over the dots to keep them from smearing after you remove the mask.

Clean the inside of the mask with mild soap and water to remove any anti-fog residue. Stick the reader lens centered on the lower dot, with the line about 3 mm ABOVE the dot. This will give you the optimum center of the stick on lens (especially in the higher powers), and still keep it out of the center of your normal vision line.

If you are going to place stick-on readers on your mask, put your mask on in its normal wearing position, and ask someone to use a Sharpie marker to mark your pupil centers for each eye. Then look down as if you are looking at your gauges or computer, and have them make a 2nd mark for your reading position. Put some scotch tape over the dots to keep them from smearing after you remove the mask.

What I did was put on my mask, hold my wrist out in front of me as if I were reading my wrist computer, close one eye, then put a finger from my other hand right in front of the mask so that it blocked my view of my wrist. Then I pressed my finger against the mask lens in that spot to make a fingerprint on the outside of the mask lens. Repeat for other side. Position HydroTac lenses exactly over the finger prints on my lens. Worked out perfectly.

Stuartv now after a couple of years, can you comment on your experience with colored masks? Would you recommend a yellow filter mask?

Back
Top Bottom