Colouring my fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nichs

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a UTD neutrally buoyant rubber fin which i would like to paint. The entire fin is black in color and I would like to change that.

I would like to turn that entire fin into a blue fin, does anyone have any idea what kind of paint to use?

+1 on marking your fins. I found a very inexpensive waterproof industrial marker a couple of years ago that did the trick for my Hollis F1 fins and made it much easier for my buddy to distinguish me u/w from the rest of the gang in their mostly black fins. Coincidentally, I just checked my F1s and it is time to refresh my white "smileys".

Contact the manufacturer for the exact material they use. They may be able to direct you to a product. There may be some industrial or perhaps specialized automotive paints which might work. I am thinking of some of the 2 component urethanes. You might run into an issue where the rubber could be damaged by the solvents in the paint. Remember that fins are not absorbent and they flex. Any coating you apply has to keep up with the material. Maybe pop rivet small colored rubber pieces onto the blades?

No, to tell you the truth, you cannot really paint your entire fins blue or pink or any other color. There is no paint or coating I can think of that would have the needed durability. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom