Diving with contact lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DJ457

Contributor
Reaction score
I've always done all my diving with a prescription mask and hate the feeling of not being able to see things clearly when taking the mask off at the end of the dive. I'm looking at getting a new mask and backup and was thinking of not getting prescription lenses and just diving with my contact lenses.

Do any of you dive with contacts, and how does it work for you?

I have been wearing soft contacts for diving since I was first certified in 1998. I tried a prescription mask once from that place in San Diego, and it was like looking through a Coke bottle. Unless someone cannot wear contacts or dislikes them for some reason, I don't understand why anyone would use a prescription mask.

What is your concern about diving with contacts? I have never had them fall out, but I bring a spare pair with me on the boat just in case it ever happens. As an experiment, I have tried opening my eyes underwater, and they still didn't fall out, though they did get a bit contaminated, requiring serious rinsing/soaking.

wife does it all the time.....
(regrettably, I may be adopting it soon)

I do, but not with my normal prescription. I need reading glasses to see gauges and macro stuff so dive with one contact -2.0 from my regular contact and the other -1.0. Gives me the ability to see macro stuff, and all but very long distance perfectly. On a liveaboard will often not bother with changing back to the normal prescription until the end of the day - as I can read and see everything but long distance quite well.

Have been diving this way for years and have only lost a contact once. Getting out of the water, no mask and wiped my eyes forgetting the contacts. Carry a couple of spare pairs just in case.

I do both. I have one Rx mask but sometimes I like to use other masks so I then use contacts. Either way I still carry my glasses on the boat in case I loose a contact. I met a guy who actually had a pouch and carried his glasses during the dive just to have them handy.

I dive contacts. I have quite bad eye sight and would like to see clearly in the periods of time between taking off my glasses and putting on my mask.

I have been wearing soft contacts for diving since I was first certified in 1998. I tried a prescription mask once from that place in San Diego, and it was like looking through a Coke bottle. Unless someone cannot wear contacts or dislikes them for some reason, I don't understand why anyone would use a prescription mask.

What is your concern about diving with contacts? I have never had them fall out, but I bring a spare pair with me on the boat just in case it ever happens. As an experiment, I have tried opening my eyes underwater, and they still didn't fall out, though they did get a bit contaminated, requiring serious rinsing/soaking.

I wear soft contact lenses too, and very much prefer them over wearing glasses. Was just wondering if anyone has come up with any problems wearing contact lenses while diving. Just by the responses I think this is a great way to go. Will make sure I carry a spare pair whenever I go diving.

I also wear contacts for every dive. Never lost a contact or not been able to see. No matter what others may say, this really is the optimum solution. The prescription masks are only good if you have the mask on, so useless when walking around the boat or gearing up. I went to this fix and never looked back (figuratively).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom