Why was my Atomic Frameless 2 (new in box with tag) "Dirty"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shamufish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I bought an Atomic Frameless 2 from my LDS (Mike Dive Shop, London, UK). When trying them on I noticed all their models were new in box with the tags yet were 'dirty' (finger prints, stains, film residue).

I asked the clerk and he didn't have a clue. Went home and prepped mine, it's now crystal clear so no biggie but was wondering what could cause this and if it was a 'normal' artefact of the production process.

I'm guessing they had been tried on by potential customers? I bought two Atomic masks and they were both unblemished i.e looked like a brand new item should.

---------- Post added July 4th, 2015 at 04:04 AM ----------

If you were trying them on I guess others have done the same but unlike you they decided not to buy.

Mine was pristine as well. They were probably tried on. I would not worry over it as long as it was still technically new. If it had been used, as in a pool or actual dive, I would want a discount. N

Thanks guys. Had a bad feeling about this - the guy was definitely pretending this was a 'factory thing'. The mask is fine thankfully, but clearly must have been used in a pool. It was pretty clear the clerk didn't have any interest in helping me much, complete nonchalant attitude to everything. Between this and my disappointing first dive at the school next door to the store: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...n-dive-not-sure-what-do-next.html#post7447438, I really didn't get lucky with my experience in London.

The store was Mike's Dive Store in chiswick by the way, so that everyone know the sort of practices they are up to.

Thanks guys. Had a bad feeling about this - the guy was definitely pretending this was a 'factory thing'. The mask is fine thankfully, but clearly must have been used in a pool. It was pretty clear the clerk didn't have any interest in helping me much, complete nonchalant attitude to everything. Between this and my disappointing first dive at the school next door to the store: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...n-dive-not-sure-what-do-next.html#post7447438, I really didn't get lucky with my experience in London.

The store was Mike's Dive Store in chiswick by the way, so that everyone know the sort of practices they are up to.

Best dive shop in London, hands down, is Amphibian in West Norwood. When I lived in Kingston, my local shop, Aquanaut Scuba, is also very good. You just have to get used to the owner's humour. He can be a bit of a sarcastic bloke.

Back
Top Bottom