Masks... High or Low Volume... or who cares?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Padiwan

Registered
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone (and I'm sure you do) has an opinion about a high or low volume mask. Or does it even matter? If your going to exhale, then why not put some air in your mask. I have a Tusa M-14 which is high volume mask and I don't have any problems equalizing at all, granted a low volume mask is easier, but I don't think it's that much a difference to matter. The drag can't be an issue either, unless you being trolled behind a boat or something, which I've done in the Keys hunting lobster, and even then in really didn't matter. Most low volume masks just don't give you the range of vision that a large window can. And it's all about seeing what's down there... right?

Padiwan:
I was just wondering if anyone (and I'm sure you do) has an opinion about a high or low volume mask. Or does it even matter? If your going to exhale, then why not put some air in your mask. I have a Tusa M-14 which is high volume mask and I don't have any problems equalizing at all, granted a low volume mask is easier, but I don't think it's that much a difference to matter. The drag can't be an issue either, unless you being trolled behind a boat or something, which I've done in the Keys hunting lobster, and even then in really didn't matter. Most low volume masks just don't give you the range of vision that a large window can. And it's all about seeing what's down there... right?

I had my problems when I tried out a LOW-VOLUME mask. I thought that it had equalized and it had actually pushed the nosepiece to my face. I was exhaling out (nose part) out the bottom of the nosepiece and none of it reached the inside of the mask. (OK, I had a cold that day as well!) The mask had already sealed too quickly to my face and didn't realize it. I had to take the mask off at 120 ft. to equalize. I looked like Rocky Balboa after a bad fight for the next week due to mask squeeze and the blood vessels that I popped when I broke the vacuum. My high volume mask is quite a bit more tolerant before it seals itself to my face like that.

Don't know about mask volume affecting equalization.

It does affect clearing if it becomes flooded. Less water to be removed. Less air used to remove. Clears faster with less effort.

Window size affects visibility. Having the lens closer to you eyes also enhances field of view. Most comparisons I've seen give greater field of view to low profile masks with the lenses closer to the eyes. Take a look at the Cressi Big Eyes mask and the Mares equivalent, there may be others as well. Big lenses, low profile. Good field of view.

Mask drag is probably not a major issue in diving. If you're diving in a major ripping current though, some masks offer more resistance and would be more likely to be pulled off. Probably not a major factor unless you compare extremes of each.

Other things to consider:

Clear mask skirt or dark.
Vertical and horizontal field of view.
Purge valve or not.
Side windows or not.
Ease of strap adjustment.
Corrective lenses.
And last but foremost: comfortable, no leaks fit.

Look in the Equipment section of the board where there is a mask section for more info.

Bob3:
I remember getting one of those gigantic 3-window masks back in the '60s. It was like having a lift bag tied on to the front of my face.

Thats hilarious.

Bob3:
I remember getting one of those gigantic 3-window masks back in the '60s. It was like having a lift bag tied on to the front of my face.
What you're calling "high volume" sounds more like a "medium" volume.

Good point, Bob!

Bob3:
LOL, Bob cubed!! Thanks for making me clean my screen - it needed it :D

I recently bought a low volume mask. Turns out I really like it. First of all, it actually fits my face (it turns out, this is not easy to do). Having the lens closer to my face actually improved my field of vision significantly. I had it kicked off a couple of weekends ago and found it was as easy to clear as the purge mask I was using before. It also has a cool black skirt, so it won't turn the uncool yellow that has taken over the once clear skirt of the mask now delegated as a backup :wink:

Padiwan:

A low vol mask would fit into your fin foot pockets during travel, and thereby be better protected, when it is not on your face.

Bob3:

Bob, did it make your neck longer? LOL

You're probably right, the industry has changed since the '60s.

Snowbear,
I've tried a few lo-volume and can't seem to get one to fit either. My Seadive is getting old and am looking for another. Which one seemed to fit the best?

chuckrt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom